Tracy Arm Fjord


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 17th 2012
Published: August 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we spent the morning cruising the Tracy Arm Fjord. We had a leisurely breakfast and then all bundled up in layers we made our way to the bow of the ship. Our resident naturalist on board gave a running commentary about the area. The sea below is 1000 feet deep. We spent a couple of hours marveling at the sites and someone even saw a mountain goat on the side of the mountain. Large powerful binoculars were needed to be able to pick it out. We weren’t so lucky. We made our way as far as we could but because of large ice bergs dotting the area, the captain made the decision to turn the ship around which was disappointing, but nonetheless we had a good view of the top of Sawyer Glacier.

In the afternoon, Sharyn and Ellen went to hear Michael talk about Eskimos, polar bears and the glaciers. I had run into a problem with the internet so had to stay behind and figure it out. Some things never change.

We decided to have an early dinner tonight so we could see Alexander, the illusionist. He was really good with some amazing illusions and quite entertaining. He could have passed as a comedian as well. Our next port of call was in Ketchikan early the next morning, so we called it a night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



21st August 2012

Wow!
Sounds like a great trip :) Makes me smile.

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb