Fox Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 14th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Levi - The Head  BrewerLevi - The Head  BrewerLevi - The Head Brewer

Silver Gulch Brewing
I didn't have a blog yesterday as I was under the weather. I started getting a sore throat Tuesday and finally developed into a full blown cold yesterday. Jim took the motor home into have the headlights repaired yesterday. They had to overnight the Master Controller in to the shop. So far, everything is working ok. An expensive repair. Today we went to the Farmer's market again then drove up to a small area north of Fairbanks called Fox. We stopped by America's Most Northern Brewery called Silver Gulch Brewing & Bottling Co. They also have a restaurant there. They usually give tours of the brewery only on Wednesday and Friday, but Levi, the head brewer, was there and gave us a tour. Very informative. They need four ingredients to make beer - barley, water, hops and yeast. They make 12 types of beer there and also root beer. He said they make about 2100 gallons of beer a week. Most of the beer is sold in the Fairbanks area. He said that one of the most important things in beer is water, which makes up about 95% of it. Their water comes from Fox Spring which is owned by the same man who owns the Brewery. It is just up the road. There is a small building that you can go into and get water for free. We stopped there and I got a glass of water - it was cold and very good. There were people there filling up their five gallon bottles. I understand this as the water around here is not that good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb