Richardson Highway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 10th 2011
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lake OtterLake OtterLake Otter

Swimming in Summit Lake.
The Richardson Highway extends 366 miles from Fairbanks in the Interior of Alaska to Valdez on Prince Williams Sound. This is a very scenic route with excellent views of several mountain ranges, rivers and lakes. It also offers views of the trans-Alaska pipeline, which carries oil 800 miles from Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean to the pipeline terminus at Valdez. The Richardson Highway was Alaska's first road (known to gold seekers in 1898 as the Valdez to Eagle trail). During the 1898 Gold Rush, dozens of Roadhouses sprang up beside the trail. They were about 10 miles apart-a day's walking distance. Some of these Roadhouses still remain such as Rika's. In 1910 the trail was upgraded to a wagon road under the direction of General Wilds Richardson, first president of the Alaska Road Commission (ARC). The road was updated to automobile standards in the 1920's and hard-surfaced in 1957.

In this blog, there is a selection of photos showing the mountains, pipeline and Rika's Roadhouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Big DeltaBig Delta
Big Delta

near Tanana River
Donnelly Creek campsite viewDonnelly Creek campsite view
Donnelly Creek campsite view

We camped at Donnelly Creek State Recreation Site, where we had great views of the mountains and some buffalo.
Mount WrangellMount Wrangell
Mount Wrangell

Mount Wrangell is an active volcano. This photo shows some of the mountain's steam vents.
Pipline Crossing at Tanana RiverPipline Crossing at Tanana River
Pipline Crossing at Tanana River

Because of varying soil conditions along the its route, the pipeline is both above and below ground. Where the warm oil would cause icy soil to thaw and erode, the pipeline goes above ground. Where the frozen ground is mostly well-drained or solid rock, and thawing is not a problem , the line is underground.
Pipeline w Earthquake DetectionPipeline w Earthquake Detection
Pipeline w Earthquake Detection

Ground accellerometers at pump stations measure earth movement, and computers identify critical supports, valves and other items to check after a quake.
Rika's RoadhouseRika's Roadhouse
Rika's Roadhouse

This Roadhouse was built in 1904 to provide travelers, miners, and trappers with supplies and shelter. In 1917 Swedish-born Rika Wallen ran the business; and in 1923 she purchased it for $10.00 and other considerations.
Rika's GardenRika's Garden
Rika's Garden

Rika raised livestock and grew vegetables and fruits, which allowed her to serve fresh produce, eggs, mils and meat. Rika ran the roadhouse until the mid-1940's.


12th June 2012

lake otter photo
that's a beaver

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb