Father / Daughter Alaska Adventure June, 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
January 7th 2011
Published: January 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wildwood General StoreWildwood General StoreWildwood General Store

On the Dalton Highway.
Friday, June 04, 2010 – Summary: Flight to Alaska with layover in Denver (Hard Rock Café opportunity)
Baltimore (BWI) to Denver (Denver Intl.) 06/04/10 10:10 AM - 12:19 PM US Airways 6317/ by UNITED
Denver (Denver Intl.) to Fairbanks (Fairbanks Intl.) 06/04/10 6:15 PM - 9:42 PM Frontier Airlines 641

Since we had a long layover, we took an airport shuttle to downtown Denver and checked out the city. It was really nice. We had lunch at Arby’s, checked out the Hard Rock Café (Dad was a good sport) and purchased HRC merchandise, saw the US Mint (from the outside) and more. It was a nice opportunity since we had a long layover anyway. Once we arrived in Fairbanks, we picked up our rental car, checked into Best Western Chena River Lodge‏, and then went to Wal-Mart for snacks and supplies. It was lightly misting but nothing to be concerned about. The Best Western Chena River Lodge‏ cost us $126.76/night. It was weird, when we arrived back at the hotel at midnight, it was still daylight outside. Alaska is a 4 hour time difference from the East Coast. Our room was really nice with good black out shades just like the website advertised. There was a hot, continental breakfast in the morning. And you could get drinks (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and juice) anytime you wanted. It was clean and conveniently located near the airport.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 – Summary: Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle including crossing the Yukon River
Our tour was from 6:30 am to 10:30 pm. We got up, got ready, went to McDonalds for breakfast and made it to the departure location by 6 am for our Arctic Circle Drive Adventure. On the tour, we traveled down the Dalton Highway and learned about the pipeline, permafrost, animals and more. We stopped by the Wildwood General Store for coffee and a restroom break (outhouses) on the way up and on the way back. We stopped for lunch at the Yukon Camp Café on the way to the arctic circle and then stopped for dinner at the same place on the way back by. There was a bear that broke in during the winter and hibernated. It had to be put down but it sure did a number on the café. They said they were going to sell the t-shirts he slept on as “bearly worn”…hardy har har. On the way back, we could see Mount McKinley with a beautiful sunset behind it. The mountain was all pink and beautiful….at 10:30ish! Yes, the daylight was astounding to me. We spent another night at the Western Chena River Lodge.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 – Summary: Denali National Park, Moose, and Rose’s Diner
We got up early, packed the car up, had a little bite to eat and checked out of the hotel. We tried to find the Alaska Railroad station in Fairbanks but we couldn’t find it even with the GPS. They opened a new one and luckily we found someone who gave us very good directions. Dad took the Alaska Railroad Gold Star Service ($106) to Denali (departure at 8:15) and I drove. He got to sit on the top in the dome. I got to Denali a little before him, checked out where the hotel was, got fuel, figured out where we needed to be at the park and then met him at the train depot (12:15). When he got off the train he was glowing. He just loves trains. I love driving so I’m glad we were both able to do what we really wanted to do. It was truly a win/win. We made our way to the Pickup Location (Wilderness Access Center) to catch the Eielson Shuttle for the 1:00 PM - 10:00 PM tour. After our wildlife tour, we checked into Denali Park Hotel ($95.23 per night) and went to Rose’s Diner for dinner. They were getting ready to close but we were oblivious since it was still daylight…I know the daylight thing again. Unless you’ve experienced it, you cannot truly understand it.

Monday, June 07, 2010 – Summary: Drive to Anchorage
We checked into America’s Best Value Hotel ($99.95/night) which was nice. It was two-bedroom efficiency with kitchenette. The curtains were not as good as the other hotels but I was starting to get used to the light…no, seriously. We found another diner for dinner and went to Wal-Mart. We also went into town to the Visitor’s Center to sign up for the wildlife cruise and glacier cruise for the next day. Before going back to the hotel, we found the Alaska Railroad station for the next day. After figuring everything out for Tuesday, we made our way to the closest seaplane pilot and asked for someone to take us to Lake Clark. While the person we asked couldn’t help us, he directed us to someone that could help us and had Wednesday available which was perfect for us. We scheduled that then made our way to the hotel. Once back at the hotel, we scheduled the hotel shuttle to the RR station for the next day. Because of his schedule, he had to take us extra early but we were OK with it. Then we went to McDonalds for a snack and a drink. I did a load of laundry, on the 3rd floor and then watched the “Anchorage Highlights” channel for hours. I couldn’t get enough. If I even go back, I’m definitely doing that boat ride where the bears are in the water with you. That looked like something I’d love. I’d also like to do the overnight trip to Lake Clark. I think it would really be worth the cost.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 – Summary: Alaska Scenic Railroad and Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise
We got to the train station a little early due to the schedule of the shuttle driver. We didn’t mind. We got a snack and coffee once we got there and just enjoyed some time to relax. We took turns shopping in the gift shop. They had great scrapbooking embellishments. Then we boarded the train (Adventure Class). It was very roomy and you could go to the dome anytime you wanted. When we got to Seward, we have very little time to get on the boat. We should have gone right away because it was totally packed. But we found a seat together and sat with people that were friendly enough. They served us chicken Caesar wraps, chips, carrots and a granola bar. We saw whales, both Orcas and Humpbacks. We saw sea lions, lots of birds, an otter, goats, a bear and the glacier. Ok, I wasn’t thrilled about it at first but I have to say it was really amazing. Watching the ice calf and then hearing the “thunder” was really awe inspiring. Add that we had fresh baked cookies and hot chocolate on the ride back to shore.
We spent another night at America’s Best Value Hotel.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 – Lake Clark National Park
Dad procured us a sea plane to Lake Clark National Park where Dick Proenneke built a cabin in the woods by hand when he was 52! The place was really awesome. He was very inventive. He is very much like Dad in that he was good with his hands and woodworking. The scenery was just beautiful.
We spent another night at America’s Best Value Hotel.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 – Summary: Anchorage to Talkneeka then to Fairbanks, North Pole
On the way back from Anchorage, we took a side trip to Talkneeka as suggested by our pilot (to Lake Clark). We shopped and got a snack for the ride. I didn’t know it at the time, but this town has the best view of Mount McKinley. On our way back to the main road, we saw a moose. As we passed through Denali, we had dinner at Rose’s diner. It was so exciting. After driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks, we checked back into the Best Western Chena River Lodge.‏

Friday, June 11, 2010 – Summary: Fairbanks, Gold Mining, Pioneer Park
Fairbanks (Fairbanks Intl.) to Denver (Denver Intl.) 06/11/10 10:40 PM - 5:53 AM Frontier Airlines 642
Denver (Denver Intl.) to Baltimore (BWI) 06/12/10 8:40 AM - 2:05 PM US Airways 6310 by UNITED
This was our last
Glacier calfingGlacier calfingGlacier calfing

I wish you could hear it.
day in Alaska. I booked us a late flight so we could have more time. We visited EL DORADO GOLD MINE - B Fri, 6-11-2010 9:45 AM ($69.90 total). When we arrived it looked like they were going to be crowded but everything was very smooth. They are equipped and trained to handle a large group of people at a time. We watched a demonstration of panning for gold. Then we got a little bag of dirt that we used to try our hand at panning. Dad did really well. I didn’t but it’s ok. As we were shopping and getting our gold weighed, they offered up fresh baked cookies, coffee and hot chocolate. We stopped by the Fairbanks visitor center. We watched a video, walked through the museum and asked for a recommendation for lunch. We found Soapy Smith's Pioneer Restaurant with good food and a very memorable server. On the way back towards Fairbanks, we stopped at Pipeline Park. There was a small display about the pipeline; how they cleaned it and such. The best part was the pipeline here is close enough to the ground that I could touch it. So dad took my picture while I stood on my tip toes. It started drizzling but it didn’t last very long. We also drove around the “circle” in front of Fort Wainwright (Army base) for a drive by shooting of the sign (from a movie). We went to Pioneer Park. It is a small park but we were just spending time until our flight. I peed my pants at pioneer park, laughing at the “old time” pictures we had taken. Dad isn’t a very convincing drunk. We also took the little train ride. Finally, on the way to the airport, Dad rinsed the car off at the car wash.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 – Arrive back at BWI this afternoon due to the amount of the flight time and the time difference.

Notes – I took my GPS which was a very good idea. If I ever go to Denali Park again, I would bring a backpack with drinks and snacks when getting on the shuttle buses in Denali. There is no place to get food after you get on the bus and leave and the tour was more than 8 hours. And finally, when in Anchorage, watch the highlights channel in your hotel to
Lake Clark National ParkLake Clark National ParkLake Clark National Park

The seaplane we arrived in.
find out some interesting things to do in Anchorage. There were things I didn’t find doing my online research that I would have loved to do.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Michele and DadMichele and Dad
Michele and Dad

Dick Proenneke's famous cabin door.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb