August 21, 2018


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 28th 2018
Published: August 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday Aug 21

Early rise again today. We had the whole day in Juneau and wanted to make it worthwhile. Two activities were scheduled: whale watching and visiting the Mendenhall Glacier. A 20-minute bus ride got us to where Juneau Whale Watch operates. Being independent from cruise lines, they try harder, and succeed! Captain Brendan and whale expert Marina know their business. They know where to find whales and did for us. The star today was Flame, a female humpback known to Marina and Brendan because they’re local folk, and got to know many of the whales who hang out in the area. Quite the show for more than an hour with Flame and company. Ferdy thinks he got some good shots and is keen to start selecting photos for enlargement and presentation.

Next stop Mendenhall Glacier, named for the Canadian who surveyed Alaska after the US bought it from Russia for $7 million, to make sure they got their money’s worth. Russia was not able to manage this gorgeous place but did not want this land to fall into British/Canadian hands, since they were the enemy. Not so sure that Canada should have been so content with the survey, just look at the map, they robbed us of some pretty decent shoreline!
Anyway, the Glacier is a nice site, although receding significantly since the 1700’s due to climate change. Wait, we were polluting this place way back then? Looks to me this would have happened anyway since the earth’s long cooling period ended back then. Lots of salmon spawning in the nearby creek. Bears think so too. We saw a caramel black bear and two cubs munching on some freshly caught salmon. Our fine weather ended here, before we could get some quality photos of the glacier. It rained cats and dogs ever since.

Also checked out the Red Dog Bar in downtown Juneau with some fine Alaska IPA and salmon chowder. This is the bar where Wyatt Earp checked his gun before having his drink, as was required by local rules. Funny thing is, he never reclaimed it and it now hangs below a stuffed bear behind the bar.

Another fine performance by the Princess band, singers and dancers, this tune the Motown theme. These folks are fit and can dance!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



28th August 2018

hi from northern ontario
trip sounds wonderful. hope to see your pictures in october :)
29th August 2018

I miss the pictures
29th August 2018

Pictures
I miss putting them there Ton but they will come. We’re so busy doing things and seeing things that that part is delayed. It involves transferring photos from the Nikon to my iPhone and that’s a very tedious process.
1st September 2018
Cinnamon Black Bear at Mendenhall Glacier

Roaming around
A great Cinnamon Black Bear
10th October 2018
Cinnamon Black Bear at Mendenhall Glacier

Roaming around
Thanks Dave and Mary-Jane! From travellers like you that's a compliment.

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb