Wotta lotta otter


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
September 20th 2015
Published: September 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was the longest drive of the entire trip, as we made our way from Fairbanks to Wasilla. To break the trip up, we stopped at various points along the way, including the Alaska Veterans' Memorial was a really beautiful place where I'm sure many found peace and tranquility.

Today also saw a repeat visit to Talkeetna, as our first time there had been rather rushed. The weather was completely different to before, with high blue skies and bright sunshine. Coming back was a great idea, as not only did we get to see inside Nagley's General Store with its charming display of bear traps and animal skins, but we also came face to face with Talkeetna's mayor, the one and only Stubbs. We also took a look at some other of the locally owned shops and the artwork by a lady who sells pictures she takes of the Northern Lights. Apparantly they were out in full beauty the previous night but we were unfortunately still in cloudy Fairbanks where there was no sightings at all.

We arrived at Wasilla at the perfect time, the sun was setting and because the sky was so clear the view was stunning. Our hotel was right next to a lake with mountains on the other side and it was picture perfect. There was a small deck in the lake which we took a look around and noticed a couple of little otters just swimming around, they were pretty cute! There was word that the Lights would be visible that night too, so we took a drive around later at night to try and spot them, but alas, it was not to be.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb