leaving the bison behind


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
July 12th 2011
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I'm here in Sarah Palin country and it's time to continue my blogging. Our next stop was Watson Lake and the notorious signpost city, story has it a G.I. working on building the road first posted a sign pointing to his home back in Illinois, now there are over 72 thousand signs from all over the world including one from Lyn and two from Gary.

June 24th it was on to Teslin Lake and the Tlingit Indian Cultural Center a very colorful people showing how they lived harmoniusly with nature

We arrived in Whitehorse on the 25th enjoying the dry sunny weather, took a trolley ride then toured the S.S. Klondike a shallow drafted sternwheeler many of which were built right here on the riverbanks and used for freight and passenger traffic.It's said a trip down to Dawson City could take one day but going back upriver took three because of the strong current of the Yukon River. I'm fascinated by the construction of these boats and their operations. The boats were powered by wood fired steam boilers and the shipping companies would hire lumberjacks to cut and pile wood at intervals along the river.On subsequent nights we went out to dinner, saw the follies and went to an Alaskan Wildlife preserve.Next on to Dawson City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb