Valdez to Homer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 21st 2011
Published: July 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Wrangell-Ellias National Park we headed south to Valdez on the eastern side of Prince William Sound. After a few days, we took the ferry to the western side of the sound ; and proceeded to Homer on the Kenai Peninsula.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Worthington GlacierWorthington Glacier
Worthington Glacier

This glacier is located at the top of Thompson Pass just before dropping down into Valdez.
Bridal Veil Falls in Keystone CanyonBridal Veil Falls in Keystone Canyon
Bridal Veil Falls in Keystone Canyon

Keystone Canyon has 20-plus beautiful waterfalls. From 1910 to 1916, copper and gold mining flourished in the Valdez area. There were attempts to build a railroad through the canyon and into the copper country. Rival railroad corporations fought a gun battle in the canyon to secure a right-of-way-north of Valdez. A tunnel, which was built at the time, can still be seen as you drive through the canyon.
Low Tide at Port ValdezLow Tide at Port Valdez
Low Tide at Port Valdez

Valdez was a major port for military freight during WWII.
ValdezValdez
Valdez

In 1964 a 9.2 earthquake struck 45 miles west of Valdez. The quake triggered an underwater landslide creating tremendous waves that washede away the Valdez waterfront, drowning 30 people on the dock. In 1967 the town was condemned and relocated to its present site. Fifty-two buildings were moved 4 miles west.
Oil TankerOil Tanker
Oil Tanker

On Good Friday, 1989 the tanker Exxon Valdex struck a reef about 25 miles outside of Valdez causing the largest spill in N. American History (before the Gulf disaster).
Valdez GlacierValdez Glacier
Valdez Glacier

Taking the Ferry from Valdez to Whittier saves ALOT of driving. Plus the ride is beautiful. We must have seen hundreds of otters floating on their backs.
View of Kachemak BayView of Kachemak Bay
View of Kachemak Bay

This view is from our campground. We stayed here for 4 days.
Kachemak BayKachemak Bay
Kachemak Bay

This photo was taken at the end of the Homer Spit, which is a 4.5 mile remains of an ancient glacier. Archeological finds reveal that the Spit was used by humans long before written history.
Family of Sandhill CranesFamily of Sandhill Cranes
Family of Sandhill Cranes

Sandhill Cranes partner for life and care at least one year for their young ones. This family was seen near our campground in Homer on the Kenai Peninsula.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb