MORE ADVENTURES


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
September 4th 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

SEA OTTERSSEA OTTERSSEA OTTERS

SEA OTTERS PLAYING "FOOTSIE"
SEPTEMBER 3

THURSDAY

…marilyn and i spent a delightful day thursday in prince william sound aboard a ship on a nature-glacier tour … it was completely different from the glacier tour we took in seward … glaciers are as individualistic as are humans … this tour took us to the columbia glacier, which extends for miles out into the sea … we were stopped about 12 miles from the glacier’s face by ice packs that have calved from the glacier and filled the bay … the glacier face is 1500 feet above the sea and extends 1500 feet down into the bay … it is the second largest glacier in the north america … we were filled with awe … I took 560 pictures yesterday with about 30 segments on video …

… alaska is great rain or shine … it was our luck that we chose a sunny day for the boat tour …

… the description of the glacier is superficial … it is beyond my verbal capacity to describe my response to the glacier … it has to be experienced to understand … and then, the understanding, for me, was visceral rather than cognitive
MARILYNMARILYNMARILYN

A VERY HAPPY MARILYN ON THE BOAT TRIP TO COLUMBIA GLACIER


FRIDAY

… marilyn and I celebrated it’s being another beautiful sky-blue morning by having a caribou sausage omelet … our mistake of the day was to each order the omlet … we would have been satisfied sharing one order …

… we are getting to be pros at hooking the aliner to the van and preparing the aliner to be folded down for travel …

… we took a leasurely drive back to glennallen, stopping at every viewpoint to take pictures … one of the many side trips we took today was to chitina … it was about 9 miles down the road to chitina that we saw the a beautiful
AN AVERAGE DAYAN AVERAGE DAYAN AVERAGE DAY

AN AVERAGE PICTURE ON AN AVERAGE DAY IN ALASKA
hand constructed octagonal coffee shop, the golden spruce… imagine this little gem on a little traveled road in the middle of the bush … our father was enthralled with round buildings, and thus, for his sake, we stopped to give it a try … it is unusual for us to eat out … and today we ate out twice … for lunch i had a bowl of soup and marilyn had a halapino hamburger … both our lunches were great, I would encourage any one traveling to valdez to take a side trip on the road to chitina , or to at least stop and have a cup of coffee … here in the middle of nowhere is a sandwich shop that would be envy of any city … it was completely hand made, including all the furniture … the owner and her husband are ardent advocates of the value of living in the bush … a more immaculately kept and artfully crafted coffee shop would be difficult to find …

… we have decided to leave denali for another trip … it would mean about a 400-500 mile detour from our way to the alcan
FINALLYFINALLYFINALLY

WE SEE OUR FIRST MOOSE
highway …, however, there is a paved road that is the short cut to denali national park … this short cut is named the denali highway or alaska 8 … we have decided to take the paved section and try a bit of the gravel section … we’ve been told, and the books say, it is basically high-treeless tundra and that we have the possible chance to see a herd of caribou … and potentially moose, though it is hunting season for both species … there is little chance that we will take the graved section very far …

early to bed and then early to rise to another day of adventure …

-postingsomepicturesifirememberhowrichard

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb