Can I get that with ice please?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
June 15th 2009
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Sea lions showing off 10 secs
[youtube=2uz5aV65H-0]The ferry got us to Valdez at 8:30 sharp. The campground and our cabin was just a couple minutes drive from the dock. That night we just crashed after I took a quick walk around the city.

At 8:00 the next morning, we were at the offices of Anadyr Adventures for the much anticipated kayak expedition. Our guide Kate, who hails from Wisconsin, got us outfitted along with 3 other would-be paddlers: Doug, from Rochester, NY, Junalee, from Anchorage and Les, a 52-year old hitchhiker from Edmonton, AB.

After a quick briefing on safety procedures, we hauled our gear to the dock and loaded it onto a water taxi that also was carrying the 3 double kayaks we would be using. The boat took us on a 1.5 hour trip up the Prince William Sound to our launch area. The highlight of the cruise was spotting a pair of sea lions who had made themselves at home on a navigational buoy. The water taxi beached itself and we unloaded the gear and kayaks. We found ourselves in a little inlet surrounded by nothing but mountains and ice.

Once we got into the water, we paddled a short distance before a field of floating icebergs revealed itself to us. We were greated by a sea otter lounging on one of them grooming her little one. We paddled for a few hours amongst the icebergs, going right up to them and touching the ancient ice. They all broke off of a giant glacier known as the Columbia glacier that was visible in the distance. Every so often you could hear a cracking sound as one of the icebergers would calve. That is an actual term that describes chunks of ice breaking off icebergs and glaciers - look it up!

The sun was out on this day, and when its rays hit the bergs, made for a beautiful show of blue and silver light. A few eagles soared overhead and seals were watching us from a safe distance away, occasionally swimming closer to us to catch a glimpse of the weird creatures in boats. Surreal.

We paddled away from the iceberg field and onto a beach for a snack and a quick hike up a hill that offered spectacular views of the area and the glacier. I had a very nice chat with Doug, who it turns out has travelled extensively. He had just returned from Nepal.

After our break, we paddled up a small river for a few hours, and eventually met with the water taxi and loaded up for the trip back to Valdez. Just an amazing day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

ReflectionsReflections
Reflections

look at the clouds reflecting in the calm waters... This pic may make my wall...
kayaks on beachkayaks on beach
kayaks on beach

gives a sense of the size of the ice


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb