Day 15-Saturday-May 27, 2017-Katherine Lake,YU to Tok, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
May 29th 2017
Published: May 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6am, temp. 42 deg., body clock 5 am (I think). We all took a stroll half a mile down the path to Kathleen lake, with Dorrie carrying 2 bear bells just in case any bears were in the vicinity. The Lake is still partially frozen. Great spot for a day trip/overnight camp. Paid our $15.70 camping fee at self-service kiosk (cheapest yet) and headed out for Tok, AK at our usual 8 AM departure time for 310mi. day. Last day in Canada. First town we passed through was Haines Junction which was established in 1942, during construction of the Alaska Highway, as an army barracks for the US Army Corps of Engineers. The day was generally a pretty boring drive except for passing several lakes along the way including Kluane Lake, the largest lake in Yukon, covering approximately 154 mi.² After about three hours of driving I was growing tired and mesmerized, almost to the point of nodding off and Dorrie offered to take a turn at the wheel. After some brief instructions, the most basic of which to just to follow the speed limits we were on our way. For the next 3 hrs. and 147 miles I was able to relax a bit and get a sandwich for lunch. In the early afternoon, we crossed the border with the United States at Port Alcan and said goodbye to Canada. About 45 miles outside of Tok we sited the Alaskan Mountain Rangr to the NW. Kudos to Dorrie for the day. Arrived Tok around 4:30 pm, topped off our gas at gas station across from Tok RV Village where we were staying which is also owned by same owner, which resulted in a discount of $.02/liter. (Wajoo) Finished and posted blog from prior day and into bed.
Miles today...307
Total...3823
Sunrise...3:50am
Sunset...11:06pm!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb