FAIRBANKS TO TOK, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
August 6th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

August 6, 2011 FAIRBANKS TO TOK, AK
As we left Fairbanks this morning we were grateful for sunny skies once again. Heading south now along the Richardson Highway we passed the little town of North Pole once again, then just a little further out we noticed snowcapped mountains to our right. Everyone got very excited thinking that we would finally see Mt. McKinley because the mountains were very clear. However, when we arrived in Delta Junction at the Visitor’s center we were told that you could not see Mt. McKinley from this road because it was too far away. Our first stop along the way was to visit the Knotty Shop. This interesting little gift shop has a collection of burl creations out front as well as an impressive burl railing along the front of the store. I was also taken with the beautiful flower pots, particularly the size of the Dahlias. We also saw huge Dahlias at the RV park in Fairbanks. The growing season here is so short and of course nothing survives through the frigid winters, so many people grown their flowers in pots to make lovely colorful gardens. The Knotty shop also had an interesting museum with many of the Alaskan animals.
Delta Junction is the official end of the Alaskan Highway so we were sure to have pictures taken at the sign there to prove we had travelled from the beginning to the end. We were all awarded certificates declaring that:
“This certifies that Lorraine Holsapple has gone through the Trials and Tribulations to reach mile 1422, The End of the Alaska Highway at Delta Junction, Alaska on this date, Aug.6, 2011”
Signed by Delta Chamber President

From Delta Junction to Tok we continued to enjoy the views of the Tanana River and Alaska Mountain Range. Our stop tonight was at the same campground as when we came through on our way north, so we took advantage of the wonderful salad bar at Fast Eddy’s Restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb