Wildlife Views and Bad Roads


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
June 4th 2010
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Grizzly BearGrizzly BearGrizzly Bear

on Alaska Hwy
Not far out of Haines Junction on the Alaska Highway, an immature bald eagle swooped across the road in front of our car, grabbed something out of the weeds on the side of the road, and flew off. I knew right then this was going to be a day for spotting wildlife.

Around Kluane Lake, a beautiful lake that goes on for miles, Gena spotted a bear. It was a grizzly just strolling down the path. It came up the side road, crossed in front of our car (which was stopped off the side of the road,) then turned down the highway and ambled past us. It stopped next to us, stood up on its hind legs, looked around, then went on down the road. What a thrill!

A short while later, Bob spotted a coyote nosing in the dry grass. We watched it for several minutes before it went on its way. A mile or so down the road was another coyote.

Past Desolation Bay a moose crossed the road in front of us. Wow! Wildlife everywhere.

The Alaska Highway between Haines Junction and Desolation Bay was pretty smooth, but once past Kluane Lake, there was
Lake KluaneLake KluaneLake Kluane

on Alaska Hwy
a lot of frost heaving and broken pavement. The farther along we went, the worse the road was. There were several miles of loose gravel in a couple of places. Just before we got to the Alaska/Yukon border, a tire went flat on the camper. So there we were, straddling the international boundary, changing our third flat tire of the trip. All three were in Canada.

Once through US Customs again, there was still some road work, but it was much smoother than in Canada. Tonight we’re in Tok, AK, and happy to be back in Alaska, USA. Tomorrow we look for a tire store.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Coyote Coyote
Coyote

on Alaska Hwy
MooseMoose
Moose

He's a bit blurry, had to take it fast
Trumpeter SwanTrumpeter Swan
Trumpeter Swan

On her nest
Changing another tireChanging another tire
Changing another tire

Kerry and Bob at work. Note dirt on camper and car from gravel roads


5th June 2010

Alaskan adventure
I wonder if the Moose went home and told his buds what he saw on the road that day. Remember - don't feed the monkeys. I bet tires and grille protectors are a growth industry up there. Wish you were here (and I was there!)
7th June 2010

Thank you for my postcard! I feel so very special - besides the few obstacles it seems you're having a great adventure - How awesome a trip! Love you and miss you both!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb