Our last Day in Skagway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in Skagway started with getting the van loaded up, laundry and some last minute shopping. We bought a few more souvenirs and then had lunch at the Red Onion Saloon. The “girls” were leading tours upstairs into the brothel. They charged $5.00, which is what it cost the men in the late 1800’s to visit with them upstairs. The money was sent from the “crib” in a tube to the bartender who kept track of the girls. He had a doll for each of the girls and would lay the doll on it’s back when the girl was with a customer to show she was busy.

We attended an opening of the Skagway Sculpture Gardens with Erol. There were several exquisite pieces on display in the garden, including a huge bronze bear which stood seven feet high, a horse over 8 feet high and an eight foot tall statue of a stampeder carrying a pack and two dogs with him. There were 3 dozen other smaller statues. Well worth the visit.

For supper, we stopped at the Port of Call Restaurant, which is run by Erol’s cousin, Kimal, who is an excellent chef. He and I and Erol’s Mom played Okie, a Turkish game, at night during the two months that I was there in 2005. We watched a movie at home and headed to bed early in anticipation of a getting up at 5 am for our ferry trip in the morning.

It is going to be sad to leave these awesome accommodations and be back to camping, after such a lovely stay here in Skagway. Thank you, Erol for everything.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 21; qc: 84; dbt: 0.194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb