Skagway - Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
June 20th 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Needless to say, we slept-in this morning after a late night last night. Dave was “under the weather” and did not want to do much of anything, but it was such a beautiful day, sunny with no clouds in the sky, and I wanted to be outside. We had planned on doing the hike up to Lower Dewey Lake, which is a short but steep hike. Instead after lunch we drove downtown and treated ourselves to ice cream cones and drove to the harbor to eat them. Then we headed up the Dyea Road to the scenic overlook of Skagway and then to Smuggler’s Cove.

While Dave “rested his eyes” in the car, I took some nice nature pictures along the beach. Usually there are seals and eagles around, but I did not see any today . There have been reports of a “Spirit Bear” in this area over the last few weeks. A Spirit Bear is a white, black bear and they are rare and protected. There were lots of flowers, a bird with a very crooked beak, I need help from Ken identifying, and loads of blue skies and snow covered mountains.

Erol, my son-in-law took us to dinner at the Skagway Fish Company. I tried Alaska King Crab for the first time and thought it was delicious and tasted a lot like our lobsters at home. Dave had the broiled Halibut and really enjoyed it. We had crab cakes, oysters, clams and shrimp for appetizers and we had an exquisite dessert from the Stowaway, the restaurant next door, delivered to us. It was an awesome dining experience.

After watching a movie with “the gang” back at the house, Dave and I retired early. Well early for being in Skagway anyways.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A quiet day in SkagwayA quiet day in Skagway
A quiet day in Skagway

That is Erol, my son-in-law in background in front of his store, The Loom. Go in and say you know his "Mom".


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb