Cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our cruise itinerary was departure Vancouver 24 May 4.45pm through the Seymour Narrows, 25 May pilots disembarked and we continued on for 1 day at sea passing the Canadian boarder to the USA at 10.30pm. Arrived at Juneau Alaska on 26 May - we were in the Pacific Ocean that night, the Captain said when in the Ocean expect a bit of Motion which we did, 20 knot winds and fog. I didnt sleep but Barry did. Tuesday 27 May at Skagway - you will note that I have spelt Skaguay in two different ways but I think we are meant to write it with a 'w' but in the town it is written with a 'u'. In Skagway we took the White Pass Railway to the Summit which was another neat train ride - photos attached.

Then onto Glacier Bay on 28 May, the Park Rangers came onboard and gave a commentary and answered questions. 29May to Ketchikan, 30 May at sea docking at Vancouver at 7.00 am. We were all off the ship by 9.00 am. The ship then reloaded and cast off do do it all again at 4.45pm.

The White Pass Railway was most enjoyable and another chance to take some great photos. What can I say about Glacier Bay - it is everything I expected it to be. It is true when people say 'just the tip of the iceberg' what floated on top of the sea was tiny compared to what was beneath. Even this early in the season we saw huge hunks of ice fall from the Glacier. It was really hard to get it in perspective we were actually a kilometer away and it was about 1 km long. It seemed much closer than that.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Red Onion Tour GuideRed Onion Tour Guide
Red Onion Tour Guide

This is a tour of the Red Light district and finished at the Red Onion
Origami TowelOrigami Towel
Origami Towel

Every night our cabin attendant would fold back our bed and leave a chocolate each. He would then make an origami towel. This one made me laugh, he put Barrys sun glasses on it.
With the CaptainWith the Captain
With the Captain

Captain Frans Consen kindly consented to a photo. He was a real character - when he spoke on the intercom he rolled his r's - it took us a while to understand him.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb