Day 19 - Homer, AK to Seward, AK 6/3/2015


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
June 3rd 2015
Published: June 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Homer, AK to Seward, AK


Well, it started raining early this morning, and was still drizzling when we got up, although there are signs that the sun is wanting to break through. We slept in late this morning, and may have to start setting our alarm at night again in order to be on our way at 8:00. After breakfast and packing up the RV, we were on our way to Seward. The trip north on the Sterling highway was pretty uneventful, with the low clouds and light rain spoiling the scenery. We retraced our tracks from two days before until we got to Rte 9, near Cooper Landing, and we headed south. Just north of Seward, there was a turn off to "Exit Glacier National Park", so we decided to take the 8 mile road up, and see what that was all about. As we approached the park, you could see the glacier from the road off our left, and it was very impressive. After a short lunch in the parking area, we took the 1 mile hike up a trail to the base of the glacier itself. The rain wasn't too bad, and it was worth the trek. From there we continued into Seward, and after driving down a 2 mile, winding, mud covered road, we arrived at the most awful RV park we've seen yet, Miller's Landing.. Made me yearn for the truck stop back in Alzada. The place was on Prince William Sound, but it was filthy, the campsites were tiny, and the wifi is practically non existent. We were supposed to stay here two nights, and they had required payment in full at the time of the reservation. We can see why, as most people would have turned around and just left. Ray told the folks that our plans had changed, and we were only staying one night. After some discussion about charging a cancellation fee, they refunded our second night, and we got settled in to some extremely tight spots in the trees. Cocktail hour was hosted in the Sweetser's RV, as it was miserable outside. We then went and cooked the rest of our halibut for supper, and hit the sack early, as there is absolutely nothing to do outside. Our plan is to get out of here first thing in the morning, and go look for some place else to stay. We'll see how that works out tomorrow. No one is really complaining about the weather, as we've been blessed with the most incredible weather for the 1st 19 days.

Mileage: 173 Total to date: 4568 Animal sightings: 1 moose 1 fox


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.11s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb