Looking for Gold


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » North Pole
July 12th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I couldn't get on the internet last night, so will try this morning. We went to Michael's house (Carroll and Barbara's son) yesterday. Carroll and Barbara are staying there while we are in this area. Barbara was in the process of canning salmon and rhubarb. She canned 19 pints of salmon and 18 pints of rhubarb. I am attaching a picture of Jim, Charlie, and Jerry trying to find gold. Carroll built this device made out of wood, plastic tubs, water pump and a piece of plastic drainage tubing cut in half. Carroll and Michael went to a creek bed and dug up several 5-gallon buckets of sand and gravel and brought them home. On the top of the device is a wood trough that has water pipes with water running. The sand and gravel is put in there and stirred until the sand and gravel run through the narrow end of the trough. Then it washes over the plastic drainage tubing that is at a 45 degrees angle. Gold is 18 times heavier than water and 2 times heavier than lead. So, if there is any gold in the sand and gravel, it will settle in the upper ridges in the drainage tubing. After running five gallon of sand and gravel through, the sediment that is left in the ridges is washed into a pan. This is swished around and the gold flakes are left at the bottom of the pan. Jim said they got 8 or 10 flakes of gold for a five gallon bucket. I don't think we are going to get rich anytime soon! Later, we had a cook-out complete with birthday cake for Ruth.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb