Ketchican – 27 July 2016


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
July 27th 2016
Published: August 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Ketchican – 27 July 2016



Ketchican is the most southwestern city in Alaska. With a population of over 8,250 within the city limits, it is the sixth most populous city in the state. It is named after Ketchikan Creek, which flows through the town. This is where we saw hundreds of salmon which had started ‘running’a week before we arrived. Fascination – but difficult to photograph!!



During our full day in port at Ketchikan and because the town has the world’s largest collection of standing totem poles, we decided on the Saxman Village Tour to learn about the local first nation people of the area – the Tlingit group. We say a short video on the culture and history of the village and people. We then entered the Beaver Clan House where we saw a traditional dance. At the end of the dance the audience was invited to join them. Tom didn’t let us down. He dawned one of the colourful embroiled cape and did their dance with them.



We then went and saw the world-renowned totem carver who had been doing his trade for over 5o years. He has his totems displayed all over the world. The large room he was in smelled of western red cedar – beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb