Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 16


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 13th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Woken up by the Captain's announcement this morning telling us that we were all fixed and on our way to Ketchikan (even though we were there when we actually had taken off). As usual, the announcement was told, then repeated - word for word.....

Arriving 5 hours late due to late departure and all shore excursions had been cancelled - not a problem for us but some others would be mortified as today was going to be one of several peoples highlight trips. Bugger.... But as the captain said (twice) - safety is our paramount decision......

At sea for most of the day but in the inner passage now - tight bits everywhere, along with whales and porpoise. Interesting views, then a message that says that some of the excursions are back on - hmm, not sure which ones but that is good news for most of the group....

We do some more domestic stuff - laundry, and then go and have lunch. Realise that I have great phone signal so call Stephanie on viber. She has just got to the Hume highway on her way to Melbourne from Canberra. Have a good chat to her and then go back and get book for a read in the crows nest while we hated into Ketchikan.

Must be something about those seats but sleep robs us of some of the trip in..... Never mind. Lots of float planes taking off towards us, 2 other cruise ships in port already and then we get in early and dock. All good - we decide to let the crowds off and wander around towns. Not huge and amazingly, lots of jewellery shops interspersed with gift shops - hmm cynicism creeping into my blogs.........

Back to the ship and having a quiet G&T (happy hour special where the second is for $1) and we hear that there are porpoise out our window. Not porpoise, but a pod of orca whales - actually 2 pods - just floating down the sea past the ship bobbing up and down very rhythmically. Great sight and another wildlife sighting to tick off the list. Bloody elusive bears - we will get you somewhere.............

In for dinner and listen to the stories of the excursion people in the group who did float planes into the fjord and the return of the fisherman (thank goodness he returned - his wife was panic struck he would miss the ship.....).

Another good day on and around the ship.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb