Our Day at Sea-Next Stop: Ketchikan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Our Alaska Cruise

We start in Vancouver, BC, then go to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and end up in Whittier, AK, near Anchorage

We've been sailing all night through the Strait of Georgia with Vancouver Island to the west. It rained a bit last night. We spent the entire day at sea. The dinner last night was one of the two "Let's play dress up" dinners for the cruise. It was a very nice evening and a fine dining experience. Marilyn popped for some excellent wine and we all had a very good evening. We hit a couple of bars with some entertainment and had a blast. Thank God we picked up another hour in moving northwest toward Ketchikan over night.

The ship arrived in Ketchikan at 6:30 AM. As usual, I was up at 5:00 AM to watch the sunrise and arrival into Ketchikan. Ketchikan is a cute little fishing town with mountains all around. I knew that a lot of this area was mountainous, but didn't know all of it was. Every mile we've travelled from Vancouver has been mountainous.

Back home we selected excursions to do at each of our 3 ports on the way to Anchorage. The activity for Ketchikan we picked is a backcountry jeep and canoe experience. We had a great time driving several miles into the bush, climbing mountains and busting through streams. After an hour in the jeep, we then arrived at a beautiful lake, Lake Harriet Hunt. The lady it was named after was famous for shutting down the red light district in town. That didn't endear her to me, haha. But the lake was really gorgeous. We then paddled a large canoe across the lake to take a nature walk and learned a lot of things, most of which I've already forgorgotten as usual. Before the walk, they gave us a nice shore lunch of clam chowder and smoked salmon. We saw a 750 year old Sitka Spruce and lots of other interesting plants.

After arriving back in town, we had about 1-1/2 hours before having to board the ship, so we decided to take in some of the local color. On the advice of our guide, Jacque, we went to the Asylum Bar. It's owned by a couple of elerly ladies who provided great service and some good stories about the area.

After getting back to the ship we had a couple more cocktails in the hot tub to soothe our aching paddling muscles. We were all a bit pooped and took a nap long enough to miss our dinner time, so once again we ate at the buffett. Our schedules for sleeping are a bit off since we are curently three hours earlier than Chicago. But, who cares about schedules?


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Stroke, StrokeStroke, Stroke
Stroke, Stroke

Just don't have one!
The Asylum BarThe Asylum Bar
The Asylum Bar

A little local flavor


24th June 2012

Enjoying your blogs
Just a reminder Bob--save some money for snowmobiling. We are enjoying traveling with the 4 of you. We are busy here at our place so traveling with you is our summer vacation.
24th June 2012

Enjoying your blogs
Thanks, Sandy. Try not to work too hard. I'll see you guys when the snow flies.
3rd January 2015
The Asylum Bar

Where in the heck are you located at?
Where is the Asylum located at, I don't see any mention of it's location in this blog.
4th January 2015
The Asylum Bar

The Asylum
Here's their site: http://theasylumbar.com/

Tot: 0.63s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 112; dbt: 0.4541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb