Katch Me If U Kan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 14th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday morning, we woke up anchored in Ketchikan. The first stop on our high seas adventure. It’s a small fishing town that relies on tourism for its income. A couple of cruise ships tie up every day and drop the tourists at their door.

The two of us, being consummate tourists, signed on to a tour up the road to see eagles soar and salmon run. It also included a stop at the famous Saxman Village Totem Pole Park. Our guide was a great old guy who has lived in Ketchikan since he was 10. Forest is his name and he and his Dad were some of the first loggers in the area. He had some mighty tall tales to tell and he told them all. He worked the pulp mill until it was shut down in the 90s. He said when the mill was running, there were 20 bars in Ketchikan, and now those 20 bars are 20 gift shops.

He is not happy that the mill is gone, nor is he happy with Sarah Palin. Who can argue. It was interesting to hear him regard this part of Alaska as the southeast, and Anchorage as up north. I guess its all in your perspective.

Forest took us to where the eagles soar. It was awe inspiring to see so many in their natural habitat.

We ended the day with wine, hors d’ oeuvres and another cheesy dance extravaganza.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Creek StreetCreek Street
Creek Street

This is where Ketchikan started.
Nightmare For the Fuller Brush ManNightmare For the Fuller Brush Man
Nightmare For the Fuller Brush Man

Imagine selling door to door in this neighborhood.


Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb