Halibut Fishing


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
June 9th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Clover Pass ResortClover Pass ResortClover Pass Resort

This is where we hired the board.
We spent one full morning Halibut fishing near Guard Island with the camp hosts, Jim and Gerry. They lived in Alaska for 30 years and homesteaded 160 acres in Willow, Alaska. We hired a 20-foot boat, which included the rod, reel, tackle and bait (herring); and headed out to Guard Island. I caught and released an "Irish Lord", which is much like a bullhead. Gerry caught a very nice halibut, which we all enjoyed eating the next day.

Guard Island is near the entrance to the Tongass Narrows, in Clarence Strait. On the island is a Lighthouse constructed in 1903. The wood used for the Light Station deteriorated in the harsh weather and was reconstructed in 1924. The station was automated by the Coast Guard in 1969. It is believed to be the largest light house in that exact location.

"Misty Memories of Guard Island" by Chris Waugh is an historical memoir about the two years the author and her family spent on a tiny isolated lighthouse island. The book is told through the eyes of her parents (since she is 7 months old); and gives a glimpse of the life they lived back thin 1953. Then, the family returns fifty years later to live on the island once again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb