Kenai - Kenai Peninsula


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Kenai
July 28th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Palmer this morning - beautiful sunny day - around 70. Drove south of Anchorage on the Seward Highway. Absolutely beautiful drive with the mountains on one side and the water on the other. I thank God for the eyes to see all the beauty he has given us. We drove through the Chugach National Forest and came to the Portage Valley where the Portage Glacier and several other glaciers are located. Beautiful. We had lunch in our RV looking at the Portage Glacier. Don't think you could get a better view anywhere. We traveled on down the Kenai Peninsula. Again, this drive is beautiful. Lots of lakes and rivers. I noticed in the Kenai River that there were fishermen standing in the water fishing. I asked Carroll about this as he lived here and really likes to fish. He said that they were fishing for red salmon because the "reds" are "running". He said "running" refers to the salmon returning home to the waters where they were born. Usually when the salmon is 3-5 yrs. old they come back home lay their eggs and die. They might travel 2000 miles from the ocean. One thing I thought was interesting, Carroll said that when the salmon are in the ocean, they are all silver. The longer they are in the fresh water of rivers and streams, their color and shape changes. The "red" refers to the meat of the salmon. It is a deep red. Red salmon usually weighs 10-12 lbs. Something else that I found interesting is even though you have a fishing license, the amount of fish that you can catch depends on the river or stream you are in. Also, when you are fishing for salmon using a rod and reel, you have to have a special salmon fly. Right now, you cannot fish for king salmon because there is such a shortage of them. Carroll says that if you would catch a king salmon, you have to leave it in the water and take the hook out. If you can't get the hook out, you have to cut the line. King salmon can weigh from 15 to close to 100 lbs. Carroll said that there are fishermen that use dip nets to fish. You have to be an Alaska resident and have a permit. The amount you are allowed to get is according to the size of your family. This is only good for salmon. Other fish must be caught by mouth with a hook. Carolyn gave me a booklet - 2012 Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary for Southcentral Alaska from Department of Fish and Game - 60 pages long. It has all the rules, regulations, exceptions, maps, kind of fish you can catch and how much. I wonder if you have your book with you when you are out in the river fishing? A nonresident 14 day fishing license is $80.00. We are going to be in this area for a few days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb