Alaska Day 21 - Kenai Country


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast is going to give us all a kick start for our hike - eggs, bacon, cereal, juice, bagels or toast, and more. We’re going to need the hike to walk off the calories. We load in vans to our starting point about a half hour away. Bear and group hiking directions are given and we are off. Anna stops us quite a few times to point out and have us experience different plants, berries, trees, and lichen. Luke reiterates or adds clarity to the lessons for those of us nearer the back. There are two toxic or poisonous plants in abundance that gets pointed out to us and they make sure we all can identify them so we stay clear of them. The children do a great job of yelling back to the group whenever they see it close to the path so we are aware of it coming up.

The hike path regularly tracks alongside a creek. We often hear water bouncing over and around rocks, boulders, fallen trees or other natural debris. All of us can tell the trail is rising higher. I had finally broken down before this particular trip and purchased an actual walking stick here in Alaska which I now find is quite helpful. It’s easier to balance especially when the trail descends some or on the steeper side of normal even going up. Crazy I didn’t do so before but many of you know how I can be about admitting the need for such assist tools. Anyway, I did appreciate now having caved on that point.

The trail zigzagged while meandering through the endless timbers. We learn about different trees and their impact to other plants and the overall forest growth. If I could pass on some of what we heard, I would but that retention issue creeps in again and I am sorry to report I don’t recall enough to share it intelligently. By the end, I couldn’t even remember which red berry was bad for you and which ones were OK so I just didn’t eat any berries on the way down. It was safer that way.

We reach a point where the path collides with the creek. It is a beautiful spot and we take a bit of a break and many photos are taken. This is the point folks decide if they want to turn around or
Anna playfully inserts hand in mossAnna playfully inserts hand in mossAnna playfully inserts hand in moss

Children were fascinated
go another mile or mile and a half for a higher view and a unique bridge. Bear have sometimes been seen up there and we are reminded of bear safety. Anna will lead with the horn blast readily available as well as the bear spray. It was interesting to learn that a horn can be more effective than anything to send a bear running off instead of staying around us (Alaskans consider bear bells dinner bells for the bears). I’ll have to check into an air horn for future hikes. The majority decide to go the distance. I have a hard time choosing but ultimately elect to push onward with the majority. It turns out the next part is a bit steeper and parts of the trail run right up against steep cliff like sides that go down to the creek. If you miss on a step, you’d be falling down pretty far. I am now very glad to have the walking stick with which to balance. The higher we go, the more clearings there are and exceptional views mimic a prize awaiting each of us as we continue to twist and turn with the course. The hillsides align front to back overlapping like a 3-D projection. It is amazing to view the surroundings from above the tree line. We finally reach the coveted bridge and after posing for a picture, all merge for a group lunch. We are a proud group of ten plus Anna sharing our perceptions of the road traveled and tales of things said or happened that all hadn’t heard.

The individually packed lunches are more than most any of us needed but we all do our best to finish. We dally around afterward observing some bright green colored rocks in the creek that Anna believes might be copper. We watch a few Sockeye Salmon trying to make their way up the creek. They are already turning red which signals their need to spawn soon. Once they get that orange-red color to them, the meat of the fish becomes soft and spongy rendering it virtually useless as food. Some will make it the creek to spawn and die; others will never make it.

Anna calls us back together and we start the descent. We stop for a couple of Kodak moments but otherwise, it is a fairly fast pace downward with the occasional upward road that eventually converts to more descending motion. We do not stop for instruction points on the way down as we did on the way up. The start of knock-knock jokes by the kids signal to us all that even the kids are getting tired. They have done really well and still do not complain. We adults are also tired.

We reach the van and one of the folks having had a pedometer clocks the hike at 8.3 miles. I’m surprised I’m still standing but it was so well worth the strain. Stories are shared on the return ride to the Lodge.

Hot showers help everyone and before long it is dinner time. None of us can believe we are hungry enough for the great meal they serve but once that food comes out, we all dig in. In spite of being tired after dinner, we all cave to the children’s request for another campfire. A different group starts the campfire and it doesn’t take long before we all dwindle away to get some sleep.

In spite of the hurt I am feeling from the 8.3 miles hiking, it’s been a grand day. The group we have is amazing with all different stories and so much variation, it is extremely interesting. I sleep pretty well in spite of muscle wake-ups and with others, dream of the river rafting trip we will do tomorrow to get to the Back Country Lodge that is accessible only by boat. Goodnight from Kenai (pronounced Keeni) Country in Alaska!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Just Relaxin'Just Relaxin'
Just Relaxin'

Didn't fall in getting to or up from the tree but thankful my boots were waterproof...lol
Almost back to the vanAlmost back to the van
Almost back to the van

Path widened and trees less dense


20th August 2012

Good to see you back!
Rita...this is just like reading a favorite book. You are good! Glad to know and hear you are having such a great time.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb