Juneau


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
July 5th 2013
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 58.3677, -134.58

The ship arrived in Juneau today. Juneau is the only State Capital not accessible by road so it is still a small city of only 31,000 people.

We had breakfast in Beach Blanket again today because we had another early excursion. We met at 7:30 and were escorted to our bus. We then took a ride to our whale watching catamaran.

We saw a humpback whale about 5 minutes into our cruise which they explained to us was very rare. We also saw eagles as we sailed along. We caught another glimpse of a whale and, while watching that, we saw a calf jumping out of the water (breaching). We watched the whale repeatedly jump for about half an hour. The natuarlist identified the mother of this whale as Flame and was very excited about getting to see this.

The catamaran took us to a lodge at Orca Point where we had a grilled salmon lunch and some time to explore the animals that live in the tidal pools.

We then sailed back to the pier to meet our bus to go to the Mendenhal Glacier. We spent a little over an hour at the glacier and visitor center.

Our bus dropped us off in the downtown area for a little shopping before we headed back to the ship.

We went to the Pixar Pals Party before dressing for dinner. The Party replaces the Pirates in the Caribbean Party that takes place on other cruises but not in Alaska. It was a dance party with Flik, Buzz, Jessie, Sully,Mike, Doug, Russell and Mr Incredible, Elasta Girl and Remy.

Dinner was Toy Story themed.

After dinner, we did a little shopping and then Nikki and I went for a walk where we saw whales and dolphins. It was great!

Dinner:
Ric: Flatbread, Asparagus, Lobster and Ice Cream Sundae
Nikki: Flatbread, Shrimp Lobster and Crab Cocktail, Seafood Pasta and Apple Cobbler
Regan: Shrimp Lobster and Crab Cocktail, Miso Chicken Noodle Soup, Lobster and Ice Cream Sundae
Kelsie: Flatbread, Miso Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken and Ice Cream Sundae


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb