OctoberFest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau » Endicott Arm
September 22nd 2013
Published: September 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

AK Brewery OctoberfestAK Brewery OctoberfestAK Brewery Octoberfest

AK Brewery Octoberfest - merch booth
There is a large population here in Juneau of German descent. The Gold Rush brought many resourceful Germans here, and they have retained their heritage, both in terms of food and celebrations. And I got a chance to take part in their Octoberfest.

The venue was located 800 miles above the main road - on almost the top of the mountain. We took a tram ride up, and that was really exhilarating - especially since I have developed a severe fear of heights in my old age. But I was calm, until the top when the wind blew the tram car around a bit. Once we got to the top, it was raining, and we headed to the lodge, where Justin G. was hosting an Alaskan Brewery Octoberfest party. It was great to see him I action. I helped him build his merch booth, and I picked winning tickets that he called off the number to some lucky patron. We had a blast !!

But the Polka Band they had was a full on authentic polka band with NO DRUMMER !

Tuba, Trombone, Baritone French Horn, French Horn, Alto Kenny G Sax, Clarinet, Violin, Harmonica. And they really had their stuff down !! I have videos but they cant be hosted here. Might YouTube one of them.

Heading out for some Oysters on the half shell tonite, and leaving for Haines on a ferry boat tmrw.

Gonna visit a friend in the wild wild wilderness - complete with bears and mountain lions. Bringing a Dagger and a baseball bat. Should be fun !! Pics are from last nite and yesterday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

AK Brewery OctoberfestAK Brewery Octoberfest
AK Brewery Octoberfest

native American photos on the wall


22nd September 2013

Glad to hear you survived the tram! Need some explanations on some of the pictures.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.9kb