Mind the ICEBERGS!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Hubbard Glacier
September 10th 2012
Published: September 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hubbard Glacier calving 45 secs
After a very rocky 14 hours we arrived very very close to Hubbard Glacier about 400m!, a 122km long glacier that took 400 years to reach the point where it's at now, so the foot of the glacier that we saw in the picture is about 400years old! On our way to there we passed a few stunning icebergs...couldn't help but think..... "Titanic"!!!! But the captain and 'pilot' that they picked up on the way seemed to know what they were doing..

It's about 9,65km wide and about 125m from top to sealevel (high) and another 100m below sealevel! This glacier is moving fast and as it moves calving takes place, it sounds like gunshots or thunder going off as the ice cracks and breaks off, it was absolutely amazing being SO close to it and watching huge pieces break off and make a big splash as it hit the water. I managed to get a short video clip of a large piece breaking off- I hope it loads and saves!

It was also 'formal' night, we were expected to wear formal evening attire, so we did our best and got our sparklies and ties out for the evening... after dinner we went to watch the Celebrity production Singers and Dancers - eSimply Ballroom" and the Captain's opening 'speach'... we weren't to sure sure what he was saying most of the time...(he has a very strong Greek accent), anyway the dancers and singers put on a spectacular show...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Hubbard Glacier Hubbard Glacier
Hubbard Glacier

Gorgeous colour!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb