Hubbard Glacier


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Hubbard Glacier
September 10th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hubbard Glacier


We were woken up by very rough seas this morning, waves were huge and the boat was rocking from left to right very hard.

We could feel it in our stomachs. We got up, and went to have very little breakfast. Heather wasn't feeling too well.

We went into the Theatre to watch a seminar on the wildlife in Juneau. The Theatre is at the front of the boat so it was
rocking even more. We only stayed about 10 minutes.

We went to the shop to buy some motion sickness medication.

Heather took one in the room. We then sat for a few minutes.

Then suddenly Heather got up and went to puke in the bin in the room. She then stubbled her way across to the bathroom where she puked some more...yummy!?!

We layd down for a while then went for some lunch. As we went to have lunch, we started seeing scenery of the coast and some little icebergs started appearing. We ate in front of the window then ran out to take pictures and footage. The colour of the water had different shades of blue, so did the icebergs. It was amazing!!!.

We were dressed very warmly as it was only about 5 degrees, it was raining and we kept running from the left of the ship to the right to get views of the glacier. It was very difficult with the rain. The entertainement team on the cruise started playing loud music on the top deck, it was MCHammer "Can't Touch This", WTF!?!. It felt very inappropriate within the peacful scenery. They were baptising people with the water from the glacier.

After a while we decided to go to deck 7, lower and closer to the water. There was no one there, and we were sheltered from the rain.

We could hear rumbling and crackling of the ice. The glacier came into better view as the mist was dissapating. This is one of the
highlights of the trip so far and well worth going through the rough seas. The ship did a 360 degree turn. We were supposed to stay about 4 hours there, but only stayed 2 hours. The captain advised we had to go as there was a lot of ice on the sea. He said it was the most ice he'd seen yet.

We stayed on the deck as we were coming out of Disenchatment bay as the views and ice on the sea was so beautiful.

He heard some very loud rumbles coming from the glacier, it felt like distant thunder, or like the beginning of an earthquake.

We stayed outside until we couldn't see any more ice on the water.

We then went back into the room as I was not feeling well.

Going back into the pacific ocean the sea started to rock very hard again.

We had a little diner at night with the sea being rough and went to sleep early.

The rocking stopped at about 11pm when the boat made its way back into the Inside Passage.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb