Day 26 - Hope


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
July 28th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Homer was a strange place. Great campsite, with an almost-resident Bald Eagle, and a strange town where everything happens on a several mile long spit. But we didn't mind leaving it behind. Even though it doesn't look much, we were well over 200 miles from Anchorage and given the slow roads wanted to break the journey with an overnight stop somewhere in between.

So we drove and drove, wondered why oncoming traffic overtakes on blind corners without coming up with an answer, and chose a town called Hope as a place to stay. Well, hamlet really. This is kind of opposite Anchorage across a bit of water called Turnagain Arm (humourous British explorers were getting fed up with thinking they'd found a route through to the other side only to have to 'turn again', like False Bay near Cape Town). It was busy with the ubiquitous RVs because the river there is a good spot for salmon fishing. Pretty unfair on the salmon really, with about a hundred fishermen in a row. Fishing seems popular here.

We pitched our tent and went to a very cool old bar, the only commercial thing there. Met a woman taking her children on a 4 month camping trip. Very nice lady who has done a lot of travelling and clearly still has it in her system, and is trying to figure out a way to combine that with 2 kids. Quite successfully really.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 104; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb