June 15--Homer to Deep Creek Campground


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
June 22nd 2011
Published: June 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Eagle bathing 32 secs

June 15--Homer Spit--weather mostly thick fog and rainy 52 degrees 9891 mileage.

---really foggy and rained in the night.

Went to local library that was really nice with all kinds of art work both inside and out. Bought an $8 bunch of books for 50 cents each. Had lunch at a bakery that we thought would have some great goodies. No such luck---muffins and cookies no pies, cakes etc. We both had a large bowl of soup for $7.00 a bowl.

Stopped at a Marine Wildlife museum and looked around—they also had neat art inside. For example, they had a pottery relief sort of work of sea animals and plants about a foot or more in width that were brightly glazed around all the doors. The volunteer there suggested a drive we should take up higher on the hill behind the town than we had gone before.

What a view!!! You could see all of the bay, plus the spit, and the islands we had boated around, and the whole town of Homer. We did learn that the spit was naturally formed as a glacial moraine and then another glacier cut a deep harbor in the middle of the bay that allows in good size ships.

Started back up the Sterling Highway toward the towns of Kenai and Soldotna and looked around the community of Anchor Point---this town is as far west you can drive in the US. By this time it was raining again. Looked at the campground where the Anchor Point River goes into Cook Islet and saw at least 15 eagles in the wetlands watching for salmon. Drove on a bit further and saw a female adult moose chomping away at grass on the side of the road and then shortly saw another female moose with a pair of twin calves.

Pulled into and parked for the night at Deep Creek Campground. Watched again as 30-40 eagles sat on the river banks and on a spit of mud , and then watched one take a bath in the river. We saw the most eagles in any one place here, and several of them were juveniles that hadn’t gotten their white heads and tails yet, which they do at age 5.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb