Eagles and Spit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
June 8th 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bald EagleBald EagleBald Eagle

flying over head
We left the campground before 8:30 and went to the base outdoor rec office, it was not open until 9. We went to the base post office for stamps, not open until 10. So we just headed on toward Homer.

South of Anchorage we drove on the Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. It was another beautiful drive with snowy mountains and churning waters. At Cooper Landing we were awed by the beautiful blue-green waters of Kenai Lake and the Kenai River. The water is tinted by suspended ultra-fine glacial silt. At Soldotna we finally found a post office and bought stamps and mailed cards. We went more than 3 miles up a road in Ninilchik to a campground, only to turn back after finding out that they charge $10 for a shower. We found another campground just north of Anchor Point and set up the campers.

Then we piled into the van and headed to Homer Spit. Just before the Homer town limits there is a scenic overlook, one of the best we’ve seen so far. It looks west over Cook Inlet to the Alaska Range and south over Tutka Bay to Homer Spit and Kachemak
Turnagain ArmTurnagain ArmTurnagain Arm

from Seward Hwy
Bay beyond. There was an eagle perched in a tree nearby and two more eagles doing aerobatics over the inlet. Beautiful water, gorgeous mountains, bald eagles; I could live there.

We drove down Homer Spit and saw lots and lots of campers and tents along the beaches and we were glad we’re in a campground tonight. It was a little too flea market/carnival-like for us. There was a cruise ship in port and lots of shops, restaurants and bars, even some condos down on the end. Gena and Bob hadn’t been there since the 70’s and were surprised at the changes.

We saw eagles along the spit, too, perched on the rocks and soaring around. I’ve lost count of how many eagles we saw today. There were 2 moose at the campground when we drove up and we saw a porcupine and a jack rabbit this morning.

It was another beautiful day in Alaska.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Kenai RiverKenai River
Kenai River

Beautiful turquoise water
Mt. RedoubtMt. Redoubt
Mt. Redoubt

54 miles away, an active volcano
Moose in campgroundMoose in campground
Moose in campground

the second one is out of the picture
Homer SpitHomer Spit
Homer Spit

from overlook above town of Homer
Salty Dog SaloonSalty Dog Saloon
Salty Dog Saloon

well known spot
Bald EagleBald Eagle
Bald Eagle

on rocks at Homer Spit


9th June 2010

enjoyment and beauty
I am reading your daily journals and learning how nice Alaska is. Thanks for letting us enjoy the beauty with you.

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb