Kachemak Bay State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 26th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Alright, now we’re really adjusted. Danielle and I were the first ones up at 8:00, so we had to hurry up and get the car packed. We were due at the water taxi at 8:45 for a full day at Kachemak Bay State Park. We made it with a little rushing and some groggy kids. The 7 of us went with Mako (our captain). On the way, he took us past Gull Island for view of nesting kittiwakes, murres, and puffins. There were hundreds of birds, including black footed kittewakes, murres, and a couple of tufted puffins. A sea otter came to visit as well. Mako dropped us at Glacier Spit with instructions on how to get to the trailhead. As we started walking, a bald eagle flew past. We hiked about 2 and a half miles to a tram that stretched across the river that flowed out of the Grewingk Glacier. It took two trips and lots of pulling to get the tram across the river. We hiked another 15 minutes to an overlook that offered views of the lake and its icebergs, as well as the glacier. After lunch, we hauled ourselves back across the river on the tram and hiked to the lake. Once we got to the lake the wind was coming off the lake and the sun had gone behind a cloud, but a few brave souls still took off their shoes and waded into the water (needless to say, it was frigid). The last mile and a half went well and we were right on time (even a few minutes early) for our taxi back to Homer. On the way back we caught sight of a Minke whale and went back past Gull Island. This time we got to see a couple of horned puffins as well. Mako navigated us in close for some great views. We were back in Homer at about 5, ready for ice cream and the 4 hour ride back to Anchorage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.077s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb