North to Alaska - we made it!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Haines
July 1st 2011
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Glacier in the Kluane IcefieldsGlacier in the Kluane IcefieldsGlacier in the Kluane Icefields

This was taken out the front windshield at this glacier came into view while driving from Whitehorse, YT to Haines Junction, YT.
Twenty days on the road and we made it to Alaska! It was a wonderful feeling to get to the border and be greeted by a US Customs agent and a Welcome to Alaska sign! The brochures and books that said the Haines Highway is by far the most scenic byway in the world were not wrong. Around every turn, a new vista that was more beautiful than the last. As we passed over the summit (only 3500 ft), there was snow at road level.

Coming into Haines, we saw a juvenile bald eagle. Had it been November or December, there would have been so many more eagles, probably around 4,000 lining the shores of the Chilkat River, waiting for the salmon. One highlight of Haines is the 48,000-acre Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve.

As we entered the city center, we found our campground. At first glance, our reaction was OH NO, BAD CHOICE as it looked like an RV storage facility (where RVs are parked so close together that they cannot extend their slide-out rooms.) At second glance - out the front window - we marveled at the view of the Lynn Canal (the fjord that is at the
Another view out the windowAnother view out the windowAnother view out the window

Driving from Whitehorse to Haines Junction
top of the Inside Passage) with majestic mountains in the background. We are told that there are whales, sea lions and porpoises that frequent the waters right in front of our motorhomes. Tonight, we watched as two cruise ships left Skagway on their way south towards the Inside Passage and Juneau, their next port.

Tomorrow, the Johnsons and guys are taking the Fjord Express to Juneau for a day tour. We (including Princess) are taking the fast ferry to Skagway. Monday's activities for the 4th here in Haines include a pie-eating contest, a decorated bike parade, canon-firing, a fire-hose battle (providing there's not a fire call) and fireworks, starting at 11:00 pm (when it gets dark). I promise I'll never complain about the HSV fireworks starting at 9:00 pm again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Back in the USA - Alaska!!!!!Back in the USA - Alaska!!!!!
Back in the USA - Alaska!!!!!

Such a welcome sight - traveling internationally is great, but this is always the most welcome sight after being away!
Stopping at an overlookStopping at an overlook
Stopping at an overlook

This is overlooking the Tatshenshini River
View out the front windowView out the front window
View out the front window

This is the Lynn Canal - at the top of the Inside Passage. To the left, Skagway; to the right, Juneau. Haines' residents tell us this view changes hourly and in that is the beauty!
View out the front windowView out the front window
View out the front window

This is looking the other way toward the small boat harbor


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb