Glacier Bay 30 July 2016


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Glacier Bay
July 30th 2016
Published: August 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Glacier Bay 30 July 2016



We all woke excited to see out our window, ice floating in the water and then we saw the amazing site of John Hopkins Glacier, Margerie Glacier and the massive Grand Pacific Glacier.



The ship went up close to the latter and stayed for over an hour. This gave us plenty of time to gaze at it, seeing puffin birds, sea lions, seagulls and large sheets of ice crashing off the end of the glacier.



The day was beautiful. The sky was clear blue reflecting through the ice and onto the water. It was majestic and the reason for coming to Alaska.



We had Glacier Bay Rangers on board the ship who constantly made announcements providing information on glacial in general as well as the whole of Glacier Bay. One of the rangers also gave a one hour presentation which was very interesting. Just a few facts about Glacier Bay Park: 3,283,000 acres, established in 1925, 1,045 glaciers in the Park (50 named), and deepest point 500m.



It was a magical morning and the weather couldn’t have been better. We were so lucky.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb