Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Girdwood
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since we’ll be traveling all day (and night) on Friday, I switched my flex day to today. We woke up, had a delicious oatmeal breakfast and started packing. Rob and I took a load of gear to the cars. When we got back, we all loaded the second round of gear into the canoe. Danielle, Gabbi, Jacqui, and I hike back to the car. It was so fantastic that Rob, Estrella, and Carina invited us to the cabin and shared all of their gear (stove, lantern, cookware, etc.) with us! We really had a wonderful time and were sad to say goodbye. We all expressed hope that we could do it again (in Alaska, New England or somewhere in between).

We started the trek back to Anchorage. We had considered a hike on the way back when we had started the weekend, but after 2 long hikes on the previous two days. None of us were up for it. So, we stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. The Center rehabilitates orphaned or injured Alaskan animals and either sends them to zoos if they can’t be released to the wild or releases them back to the wild. They only deal with Alaskan animals, so we didn’t have to worry about running into Bob Barker (see the Anchorage Zoo post). It was really neat to see the animals up close, especially the brown bears! We spent a couple of hours walking around and watching the animals.

Back in Anchorage, we unpacked and relaxed. Danielle had plans to meet some friends at the Bear’s Tooth. It is a restaurant/movie theater. They have second run movies that you watch from your table. I’m looking forward to hearing about it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb