Day 60 - Busy day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
June 29th 2013
Published: June 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The day started out early with us up at 7:00 and leaving the RV park at 8:30. We headed downtown to the local farmer's market. We had heard the farmer's market had great produce and lots of locally made crafts and goods. The locals were right and it was just as they said. Joyce and I even were able to both get a 20 min. chair massage. Boy did we both need that. After we did our fair share of shopping at the market we were off to the University of Alaska Museum of the North. As you can see from the pictures I post, it was a very educational place. Around 12:30 we went off the university campus and headed towards the Discovery Riverboat Cruise dock. At 1:45 we boarded a stern wheeler riverboat and headed down the Chena river. Along the way we watched a bush pilot take off and land on the river. Then we stopped at the dog training camp where Susan Butcher lived and trained her Iditarod dogs. Next we stopped at a village to see how the ancestors lived back in the day. We say caribou that were shedding their white winter coat. They looked kind of funny half white and half brown. The village winter coat was simply beautiful. It was valued at between $12,000 to $20,000. It was a busy day, but lots of fun. We ended the day with a great seafood dinner at one of the local restaurants along the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb