Day 10 (July 7, 2008) Today was the Northernmost leg of my journey.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
July 8th 2008
Published: July 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aggressors Over Alaska RangeAggressors Over Alaska RangeAggressors Over Alaska Range

Three F-16 Fighting Falcon from the 18th Aggressor Squadron assigned to Eielson Air Force Base fly together in formation over parts of the Pacific Alaska Range Complex prior to a combat training mission March 20, 2008 in preparation for the first Red Flag-Alaska exercise. This training exercise allows the pilots to practice in flight fighting and maneuvering capabilities that will be used against the participants in the Red Flag-Alaska exercise to simulate the capabilities of enemy aircraft. Notice the paint scheme. (U.S Air Force Photo by Staff Sgt. Eric T. Sheler) Three F-16 Fighting Falcon from the 18th Aggressor Squadron assigned to Eielson Air Force Base fly together in formation over parts of the Pacific Alaska Range Complex prior to a combat training mission March 20, 2008 in preparation for the first Red Flag-Alaska exercise. This training exercise allows the pilots to practice in flight fighting and maneuvering capabilities that will be used against the participants in the Red Flag-Alaska exercise to simulate the capabilities of enemy aircraft. (U.S Air Force Photo by Staff Sgt. Eric T. Sheler) Download Full Image · E-mail a friend Three F-16 Fighting Falcon from the 18th Aggressor Squadron assigned to Eielson Air Force Base fly together in formation over parts of the Pacific Alaska Range Complex prior to a combat training mission March 20, 2008 in preparation for the first Red Flag-Alaska exercise. This training exercise allows the pilots to practice in flight fighting and maneuvering capabilities that will be used against the participants in the Red Flag-Alaska exercise to simulate the capabilities of enemy aircraft. (U.S Air Force Photo by Staff Sgt. Eric T. Sheler)
Greetings from Eielson AFB

For you military buffs who want to know about Eielson here goes...Eielson is located about 25 miles southeast of Fairbanks in the interior of Alaska, and is the home to the 354th Fighter Wing, assigned to the 11th Air Force in the major command of the Pacific Air Forces. The 354th FW supports operations, maintenance, mission support and medical functions of the Pacific, and is host to 10 tenant units, to include Alaska's Air National Guard 168th Air Refueling Wing.

Today I wanted to head to Fox, AK to visit an old gold dredge machine that has been sitting still since 1959 and to see how gold was mined in that era.

Of course on my way there, I finally got to see the town I have only heard about...North Pole. Their moto is “Where the Spirit of Christmas Lives Year Round”. JoLynn would absolutely love this little village, especially shopping for Christmas items at the Santa Claus House. I think if JoLynn could get away with it, she would leave the Christmas decorations up all year...maybe we might move to North Pole, AK dear!

Just North of Fairbanks I came across the
Land of the Midnight SunLand of the Midnight SunLand of the Midnight Sun

I took this picture last night at midnight and the sun was still up. Simply amazing!
Trans Alaska pipeline again, only this time I was able to walk right up to the pipe and experience in person this marvel of technology.

The pipeline was built above ground in areas where thaw-sensitive permafrost exists. However, where the line must be buried, such as highway crossings or avalanche-prone areas, the pipe is encased in an insulated, refrigerated ditch. Nearby refrigeration plants pump cold brine through 6 inch pipes which absorb heat and keep the soil cooled. Environmental safeguards are very important.

Did you know that the oil emerges from the ground at up to 180 °F, and travels through the pipeline at temperatures above 120 °F.

Another innovation associated with the pipline is the zig-zag configuration aboveground. Since pipe shifts around far more easily above ground than when buried, the zig-zag path of the pipeline allows the pipe to move from side to side and lengthwise. This movement may be caused by earthquakes or by temperature-related expansion and contraction.

Speaking of oil and gas...my brother-in-law, Kevin Conklin, who recently returned from a vacation in Alaska, asked what are the gas prices here in Fairbanks. It ranges from $4.44 to around $4.62. I was also
Good tourist stuff!Good tourist stuff!Good tourist stuff!

Here's more proof of the "Land of the Midnight Sun"
asked what was the cost of gas in Canada. That depends on where you live in Canada and where you buy your gasoline. Taxes are usually responsible for the large component of gasoline prices. On average, Canadian taxes represent 30 to 40 per cent of what you pay at the pumps. Broken down to gallons, I was paying in excess of $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon!

GOLD DREDGE NO. 8

Gold mining in Alaska was very hard labor as men and women set out to strike it rich with hope of hitting the "mother lode". There are literally thousands of gold claims across Alaska and if you "pan" for gold, you better make sure you are not operating from someone else's claim...people have been shot over this minor issue!

But as technology and Yankee ingenuity prevailed, the technigues advanced from small hand operations to huge gold dredges. And I wanted to see the only authentic gold dredge open to the public. It is called Gold Dredge No. 8

The enormous, awkward-appearing, floating gold dredge was operated in the Goldstream Valley starting in 1928 and extracted 7.5 million ounces of gold before being shut down in 1959. It is the only authentic dredge open to the public.

The concept is it traveled an ancient stream bed, thawing the ground ahead of it and scooping up the gravel. During 31 years of operation, a fortune in gold washed through its sluices. Todays price of gold would equate to over $6B! And it only dredged a total of 4.5 miles...wow. Many gold mines are starting to come back on line with the high cost of gold. They mine in the summer and process the gravel in the winter.

Ladder dredges came to Alaska in the early 1920s, after the U.S. Smelting, Refining, and Mining Company (USSR&M) brought water to the area via the 90-mile Davidson Ditch. Using the water to warm the ground, the ground was thawed at an average 9 inches a day. The gravel was scooped up in buckets, carried up the ladder, and deposited at the top of the dredge for sorting. The gold was trapped on the riffles of the gold tables. Somewhat similar in theory to the old fashioned method of "panning".

And to end my tour I got to experience this old fashioned method and I did hit the "mother lode". After I took my nuggets to the assayers office, she gave me $10.05 for my gold...I turned around and spent $20 to put it in. I feel so cheated!

Well, that about wraps up my day in the area. I did have a chance to talk to several friends from home and catch up on news from Bismarck. Sounds like it has been pretty hot.

Sid and Loren (Nimrods)...we need to do another ride together. When I get closer to the end of my journey, I will let you know so you can ride to meet me and we can ride again...that goes for anyone who rides. Will let you know when it gets closer. And Loren, if you will watch the movie Gettysburg, I was modeling my beard to look just like a Civil War enactor...maybe I have another career in that area.

"Ride for the Brand everyone."

Rob




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Goldstream Dredge No. 8Goldstream Dredge No. 8
Goldstream Dredge No. 8

Front view of the gold dredge that has been sitting this way since 1959. Notice the sludge piles in the background. This dredge mined 7.5 million ounces of gold.
Goldstream Dredge No. 8Goldstream Dredge No. 8
Goldstream Dredge No. 8

Here's another view from the front. The dredge buckets were able to operate up to 28 feet under the surface of the ground. I can only imagine how loud this must have been with all this metal. Since the ground was frozen under the permafrost, most of the time was spent thawing this gravel for mining with water.
Why does this guy keep jumping in front of the camera?Why does this guy keep jumping in front of the camera?
Why does this guy keep jumping in front of the camera?

This is one huge gold mining pan with yours truly.
I struck the "Mother Lode"I struck the "Mother Lode"
I struck the "Mother Lode"

After sloushing water over my gravel for 20 minutes, I finally struck it rich and cashed in for $10.05. It does take a technique to get it down and I got pretty good at it. However, I did not want to spend $8.00 for another pouch of gravel to make another $10.00. Get it?
North Pole, AKNorth Pole, AK
North Pole, AK

JoLynn, this is your kind of town! I know that if you were along, we would have spent over 3 hours here. But that would have been okay dear. Love you and miss you sweetheart.
Santa Clause House, North Pole, AKSanta Clause House, North Pole, AK
Santa Clause House, North Pole, AK

The only thing missing is the snow.


8th July 2008

SPAM ALERT
I keep getting this spam from Rob Keller on my email. I think he must work for Alaska tourism or something. Not sure about that beard though...he looks like Papa Smurf.
8th July 2008

This is Awesome!
Rob- this is such a great adventure! We are all keeping track of you and can hardly wait to find out what you'll do tomorrow! Have you been able to sleep with so much sunlight? Alaska looks beautiful! Good luck and thanks for the updates!
8th July 2008

Enjoying
Rob, I have been enjoying your updates and am starting to get the itch to make a ride like that myself! You could publish a book entitled "Riding to Alaska on Motorcycle for Dummys" and I would probably buy one! Ride safe! DW
8th July 2008

Great pic and journal
Rob, I am enjoying yor pic and daily journal with much interest. A friend at work said to stop at a roadhouse between Fairbanks and Danali, its called Skinny Dicks Halfway Inn. You know, that you are going to do this again, don't you....only next time I will be riding with you....Jody
9th July 2008

Enjoying
Uncle Rob, We are loving the pics that you are posting. We enjoy finding out daily where you are. We can't wait to see all of your pics when you come to visit us again. Have a safe trip back.. We thought the North Pole was a lot farther??? At least that's what Dad says..
9th July 2008

Christmas
I know I would have loved that Christmas store and yes I would love to keep my tree up all year. I just don't want snow all year.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb