Flying over a Frozen Wilderness


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Eagle River
June 28th 2017
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Here I am managing to keep jet lag at bay by writing a few lines and keep myself awake.

Rosalind and I had a wonderful journey here to Alaska yesterday, flying from Gatwick to Reykjavik and further connections in Seattle to Anchorage. Keflavik airport was very busy, as it is now quite a big hub for North American flights , and very expensive as Ros found out when she picked up a couple of snacks...... $9 for a bag of nuts and a flapjack bar almost sent her into a spin ... so the flapjack went back !! Then we had the excitement of her name being called over the tannoy system and off we toddled to the Info Desk to be told she had been specially selected by US Immigration for a security check . There was a moment of panic as I saw her disappear behind a door with the officials ....would I ever see her again? But out she came and had had her bag and jacket and self checked over and obviously passed the test.

I was a little worried about the Seattle connection as we had 1h 45 m to make the connection and past experience told me that USA Dept of Immigration and Customs clearance can sometimes take a while . But as we were in row 10 seats near the exit door we were first at the immigration desk and no hassle with the friendliest chattiest smiley !!!! Officer we have ever seen. So fingerprints done it was round the corner, collected bags and then round the next corner our bags were whisked away. We even had time to feast on an enormous bagel filled with fresh salad and chicken before the last leg of our journey another 3 hr flight to Anchorage. By this time, we were 9 hours behind English time so although it was 10.30 pm in Alaska our bodies told us it was the next morning and we had missed a nights sleep!!! So that's why I kept dropping off to sleep sitting upright listening to Radio 4.

Flying over Greenland, Labrador and Baffin Island in Canada it was so clear we had amazing views of glaciers and mountains, ice sheets and frozen sea ice as you will see from the photos.

We were met at the airport by our hosts Nick and Lita who last year had house swapped with Rosalind ... and that's why I am lucky enough to be here in Alaska... Ros surprised me by asking me to come on this trip with her and of course I could not say no. So thank you to Ros and also Nick and Lita for giving us such a wonderful welcome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



28th June 2017

Fabulous!!
Wow, What an Awesome sight!! Must be stunning to see those landscapes for real. Have a great time Lynne. X
28th June 2017

Back in the USA
Beauty around every corner
28th June 2017

Air travel
Hi Lynne, Sounds like you had an eventful journey wth amazing views! Hope you managed a god sleep when you eventually arrived. Have a good trip.
29th June 2017

Alaska
Lin Have a great time in Alaska. Glad you are back in our part of the world Bob and Marti
20th July 2017

Beany rabbits and bears!
Beany rabbits and bears! Great stuff, glad i have the "what to do in the event of meeting a bear " info, though I hope I will never be too close as to need it. Alaska looks stunning, great blog.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb