Mt Baldy


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Eagle River
July 27th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another amazing Alaskan weekend. Enjoyed a fun and easy hike up Mt. Baldy on Saturday and walked along the ridge a ways. The excessive wind blowing on us eventually chased us away and prevented us from checking out the last maybe 50 ft up to the top. You literally couldn't take off your jacket or it would blow off of you, and if you have a runny nose, snot rockets will follow. Went to town (Anchorage) for a 21st birthday party at bar combined with about 6 different bars and types of music that had a metal detector at the entrance (what a great place for people watching). Wow! A little overwhelming, I think I enjoy the quest Palmer bars a lot more. Sunday was a rainy gray day and was great for catching up with laundry and naps!

Work wise, today was an exciting day! Saw my 1st brown bear during field work! It crossed the creek right in front of our canoe. Talk about ironic, when it was the only day we didn't have bear spray on us. Although we scared it away regardless. We just started seeing adult salmon in the creek, so it must have been feeding.

Today our crew also started potable water races, one of the many crazy things my team has come up with. We have to fill up with water at the neighboring campground and bring it back to our camp to fill the trailer drinking water. Each can weighs 40lbs when full. So we did timed races running it .25 miles along the trail from campground to camp. Talk about serious cardio and forearm workout. Whoa! Did it in 5 minutes 34 seconds beating the previous winner of 5 min 35 seconds. Do I want to do it again? Not really, but I probably will.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb