June 26, 27, and 28--Byers Lake CG to Riley Creek CG, Denali


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
July 6th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!

Sunday, June 26, 2011 Byer’s Lake State Park Raining and 55 degrees. Starting mileage 10580. 9:30




Because this area is near a military plane crash site and is equal distance between Fairbanks and Anchorage, a Veteran’s Memorial honoring Alaska’s Vets and their sacrifices, was placed near this State Park. When we got to the Memorial, about 3 tour buses were in the parking lot. I guess they have to give the cruise ship people their money’s worth and this was also a good bathroom break stop. Valerie got out and took pictures.

We drove along north and Valerie took pictures of a cottonwood tree and fireweed wild flowers in bloom. Saw a female moose moving from a pond into the woods. As usual now, the animal was too quick for a picture.

Arrived in Denali Park and stopped by the Mercantile Building and registered for the Riley Campground, picked up tickets for our shuttle bus ride into the wilderness of Denali National Park, found our camp spot, and ate lunch. We noted that the Mercantile had wifi, laundry, fresh water, dump site, and showers.

After lunch, we drove further into the Park and checked out the Park’s Visitor’s Center and picked up material on programs, schedules, etc. going on in the park. Went by the Wilderness Access Center to check on the prices for the guided tours of Denali. We found out that you pay over a $100 for the bus tours because you are given lunch and have a constant narration by the bus driver. We decided we would just keep our reservations and tickets for the shuttle bus ride that travels the same road. We were told that the driver would stop for any wildlife sightings and would talk about what we were seeing.

Settled into our campsite at Riley Creek. Didn’t see any other RTs around. Had dinner, read for a while and called it a night.

Monday, June 27th Riley Creek Campground, Denali National Park. Rainy-cloudy and 64 degrees. Starting mileage at 10683.



Declared today a down day as yucky out. Read and worked on photos and blog narrative. About 4 pm the sun came out and we have learned to take advantage of all SUN when we can get it. So, drove Rosie II about 15 miles up the National Park Road to the Savage River area, which is as far as you can drive north in the park without permission. Glorious mountain views, wild country. Parked at the turn-around spot and took pictures. Nearby this spot, there were several people climbing the rocks. Saw a couple of caribou on the gravel beds on the banks of the Savage River. A small herd hangs out here.

Returned to Riley Creek Campground just in time for dinner. Glad we took advantage of the few hours of sunlight and no rain.

June 28th, Riley Creek Campground, Denali National Park




We knew we needed gas and had stopped at a station when driving up to Denali National Park, but found gas was too expensive so had continued on to the park. Our generator shuts down if you have only a 1/4 of a tank of gas. This is a safety thing, so that you can still drive somewhere to get gas. Now, after our drive yesterday afternoon, we really NEEDED gas, so drove outside the park to the concession area where motels, shops, etc are situated. Gas there was $4.89 a gallon.

I am so glad that in 1917, this park was established and then added to in 1980 , so that now, approximately 6 million acres are preserved. This commercial area with its “Princess Hotel/Lodge” and other touristy businesses is what the whole thing would look like, if not for these far thinking men.

So, looking at the map, decided to drive 12 miles into Healy to see what their gas prices were. Drove through a very steep river gorge with the train tracks and us along the river. At Healy the gas was $4.36 per gallon and we took 21 gallons! Also bought a loaf of freshly baked cheese bread that was really good!!

Drove back to Riley Creek Campground and dumped our holding tanks and filled up with fresh water at the Mercantile.

Sliced up a poppy seed cake and filled the center “circle” with small cookies as our contribution to our RT group’s potluck dinner. We ate dinner under a tarp strung between two other covers set up to keep us more or less out of the rain. Several of the dishes were ethnic in origin; Kim & Hal made a huge batch of beef Hungarian goulash with spatzle, Pete & Bunny cooked Polish piroshkies, another couple made a salad dish from the Philippines. A good time was had by all. Walked back to Rosie II and settled in for the night. Still raining.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb