Denali Nat'l Pk, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
August 23rd 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday August 23, 2007 This morning we traveled to Teklineka Campground to stay for 3 days. There was blue sky and there were clouds so we didn’t know if we would see Mt. McKinley or not. We took our time traveling the 30 miles on Denali Road to the campground. We looked for wildlife, but didn’t see any. The animals are around you just have to be at the right place at the right time. We stopped frequently along the road so I could take photos of the changing colors of the tundra and for Frank to watch birds. We had given up on Mt. McKinley because of the clouds in the direction of the mountain. At one of our stops I scanned the horizon and I could actually see the south peak. At another stop it was totally covered by clouds. We went further and saw more of the mountain again. Finally, there was a break and we could see most of the mountain. We feel blessed to see what we did because you have a greater chance to see a wolf than Mt. McKinley when you visit the park.
The campground is nice, only 50 sites and not all of them full. One thing we’ve noticed is that the bugs aren’t bad. The Ranger said this late in the season they aren’t around (I wonder if they die or migrate)! The Denali camping season will be over in 3 weeks. There have been recent bear sightings near and at the campground. In fact, there was one this morning across the river. We’ll see. Friday we take a day hike with a Park Ranger.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

A Bit More of Mt. McKinleyA Bit More of Mt. McKinley
A Bit More of Mt. McKinley

We thought this might be the best view we were going to get.


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb