Day 17 - May 28, 2017 Palmer, AK to Denali National Park


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Palmer, AK to Denali National Park


Decided to sleep in a little later this morning, and it felt really good. First of all I would like to wish a happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone, and a big thank you to all our military and veterans for their service, including those in our caravan. The weather leaving Palmer quickly turned overcast, but no rain. We passed through many small towns before we turned off for our first stop in Talkeetna. It is a real blend of old Alaska and a modern tourist destination and is also an aviation and supply base for Denali climbing expeditions. For those of you who are not familiar with Denali prior to 2015 it was called Mt. McKinley, has an elevation of 20,310 ft and No. America's highest mountain. Telkeetna was a very neat little place. The main street consisted of gift shops and many eating establishment, and had a very nice vibe. We roamed around the stores then bought some yummy looking food items at the local bakery.

After finishing our lunch we headed back on the road for our trek to Denali National Park. The cloud cover was quite low so Denali was not visible, but the rest of the scenery was once again fabulous. We passed by Hurricane Gulch Bridge which is 550 feet above Hurricane Creek. It is a spectacular gorge and we hope to stop and take a picture on our way back on Monday.

We arrived at our RV campground, Denali Rainbow Village, at almost the exact time as our Cedar Hammock friends. It was really great to see them all. The men helped each other get the rigs leveled (Ray and I were lucky, our lot was level), then we decided to get together for cocktails at the Greeley's RV at 5:00, to be followed by dinner out.

For those of you who haven't noticed Ray decided to stop shaving about a week ago. I think he was jealous of Quentin's hairy face and said what the heck why not see what it looks like. Guess he wants to looks like a real mountain man. Anyway, we are trying to figure out if he looks more like Gabby Hayes or Prospector Pete.

Dinner at Denali Park Salmon Bake was great, and laughs were had by all listening to Diane sing, or should I say try to sing, "Oh My Papa", thinking it really was "Oh My Diane". We all walked back to our RV park to relax after a long day, and are looking forward to spending another day here.

Miles - 230

Total Miles - 4455


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement





29th May 2017
Dinner our with the "3 from Naples"

Beautiful area. Not sure about the beard.

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb