Day 63 - Denali via ATVs


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Joe, Ron, Jon and I got very dusty this afternoon. We all climbed aboard ATVs and went on a tour of some of the back country outside of Denali National Park. Over hills, into riverbeds and creeks we traveled. Helmets, goggles, gloves and warm clothes were our attire. It was very cold and a little rainy this morning, but we could not have asked for better weather for our afternoon adventure. After we crossed a large riverbed we came up on what appeared to be a LARGE rock slide. As it turns out, a glacier went flowing through the area thousands of years ago and formed this huge pile of dirt and rock. While it looks like it could come crashing down at any minute, the guides assured us it was very stable. We saw some great scenery, but no wildlife while we were on the tour. As we were getting dusted off back at the ATV staging area we looked up to see a beautiful bald eagle. On the bus ride back to camp we drove by the local golf course and there she was. A cow moose just grazing the flowers in the middle of the fairway. Never count the wildlife out, they show up when you least expect them to. After we all cleaned off the dust from the ATV ride and took a little nap we decided to head into town for some dinner. Alaska Salmon Bake was the groups choice and the salmon lived up to it's reputation. Cedar planked grilled with a sauce mix of maple & birch syrup, ginger, soy sauce & garlic. It was mouth watering delicious. Mikey, you would have loved it...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb