Top of the World


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Delta Junction
August 3rd 2016
Published: August 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

2 Aug 2016: I remember an old James Cagney movie called "White Heat". Cagney played this real tough guy. Actually, he was a psychopathic murderer. At the end, the cops chased him to the top of a gas tank. The huge tanks they have at refineries. He's up on top but the cops dare not shoot. Cagney screams, "Look ma, i'm on top of the world." Then he puts a couple of rounds into the tank, blowing himself up.

Today we left Dawson City for Tok, Alaska via "The Top of the World Highway". We first had to cross the Yukon River on the little ferry paid for by the Canadian government. It runs on demand and there is no charge. Captain and crew made the trip over quickly and without incident. We were on our way.

Our negotiation of this rugged, sparsely traveled road was not as explosive as Mr. Cagney's. It did require care, howeved. There are no guard rails, the skimpy shoulder is soft and there are steep grades and sharp turns. We averaged between 30 - 40 mph. This road is mostly dirt mixed with gravel. There were potholes and dips. But it actually wasn't as bad as some have claimed. The shaking caused a couple of items in the coach to fall. I have to glue a speaker cover back on and there was a screw and a rivet I need to identify the source of and reattach.

There were stretches of good road. The first few miles after crossing the Yukon River and ten miles after entering The United States.

Eventually we reached the customs station at the border. The agent was professional and courteous. After denying ownership of firearms and vegetables (He leveled his pearl-handled .44 Cal cucumber at his assailant...) she waved us through. In passing, I clipped the metal stop sign with my side view mirror. Oops, sorry I gestured. No harm done.

The road follows the crests of the mountains ranging in elevation from 3300 - 5100 ft. Up and down, around and around. Finally we passed the Chicken gold mine and entered the "community of Chicken, Alaska. Pop 23 in summer, seven in winter. We ate lunch at the cafe there. There are three large chickens out in front. I asked the wait person where the really big chicken was, she said turn left and it's on top of the hill. We did and I looked to the left but didn't see it. It might've been on the right but Jeanne djdn't see it either. There was no room to turn around and I couldn't back up towing the car and there was no room to pull over and walk back so on we went. We'll have to come back someday and look again. The bird is constructed of locker doors salvaged from a high school.

We proceeded South on the Taylor highway, passing operating gold mines and crossing many streams. The road was paved here but with many patches and stretches of gravel and potholes along with dips. I would rather encounter a pothole than a dip. Dips are more difficult to judge.

We got to our destination, Tok, earlier than we expected so we continued on to Delta Junction which is the official end of the Alaska highway and only 96 miles South of Fairbanks. We were looking for a place to boondock because we were just going to overnight there. We finally decided on a State Historical park where we camped for $15.00. It was level and very quiet. It was the end of an eventful day.

Advertisement



6th August 2016

Stop Sign
I am sorry, I had to laugh outloud when I read the part about the stop sign. It must be a thing with men and there homes on wheels. Terry had an encounter with a stop sign with our travel trailer not that long ago. I am so glad you are sharing your travels on this blog. I feel somewhat like I am enjoying the trip with you. Maybe some day I will get to Alaska. On the home front, the full-time missionaries from Iowa got here about 3 weeks ago. They are really nice. We have another full-time couple coming from Utah next Thursday. We are going to train both couples to be leads then when Elder Karren is here in October, he can choose who should lead and who should assist. Then we can extend as CSMs and be worker bees again. Yay!!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb