free day in anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
September 4th 2013
Published: September 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

back at the hotel after a pretty fun day. because i used the hotel's "green" option (don't touch my room, i don't need anything), i got a 5 dollar voucher to use at the hotel.

the nice thing about this town is that it is laid out on a gird system. that makes walking and finding things a bit easier. but it also means nice canyons for the wind to blow down.

wandered down to the center of town and saw the guy selling trolley tour tickets. the 12 o'clock tour was full, so i kept walking. went to resolution point where there's a nice view (probably a gorgeous view when there aren't clouds), and a statue of Captain James Cook. went to the snow city cafe for lunch, then walked over to elderberry park and along the coastal trail next to the train tracks. found the state monument statue and saw the railroad depot. then i had a quick smoothie at this little yoga place i passed. wandered back to the center of town and managed to nab a spot on the 3 pm trolley tour. it was a fun drive around the city and its outskirts, except for the fact that it was raining and i couldn't really get good shots.

learned something very interesting. i never knew that anchorage is on a fault line and that there was a massive earthquake here in 1964. apparently there's a part of town where the entire neighborhood disappeared and now it's a park and there are some chimmneys sticking out of the ground.

tour lasted about an hour, and i chatted with the tour guide for a bit and it turns out he's originally from brooklyn. small world, anyone?

we passed a starbucks on the tour, so i stopped off there for a bit, then walked back to the hotel. Met the tour guide and a few other people from the tour. First time I’ve ever had a female tour guide with globus.

Weather today was grey and a bit chilly, I definitely needed my sweatshirt. Gotta put my gloves and hat in my knapsack.

Off to dinner now, will try and check in from Denali tomorrow.

Advertisement



4th September 2013

Juneau--State Capital
Interesting to hear the history of the Anchorage earthquake. Are you aware of any history on why the Alaska state capital is located in Juneau as opposed to Anchorage?

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb