Day 15 Coastal train Anchorage to Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
August 23rd 2013
Published: August 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

Breakfast on the train - French toast with reindeer sausage
Only caught a couple of hours sleep last night after we checked into hotel, did the washing/ drying, caught up on emails etc.

Up at 5am, got a taxi to the train station to check in for the 4 hour scenic journey. Train left Anchorage station at 6.45am. We bought adventure class tickets for the journey which meant we got to sit in the upper level glass dome carriages. It certainly was a treat - the scenery was amazing..words can't describe how spectacular and large this place is..we saw hundreds of glaciers on this train journey. If this is a sign of the scenery we are going to experience of the next few weeks - it is certainly going to great some fantastic memories for our photo albums.

Learnt some interesting facts about Alaska today - they have more than 5000 earthquakes every year. Alaska has around 16,000 lakes across the state and the state was sold by Russia and purchased by the US Government in 1867 for the price of $7.2 million. Alaska has the most effective and modern earthquake and tsunami evacuation procedures in the world.

Arrived at Seward station at 11am and took the free
imageimageimage

View from the train window.
shuttle bus into town. Stopped at the Sea Life Centre. We were able to use our toursaver coupon here - $20 admission. Took us about an hour to look at all the exhibits and then look around at the magnificent sights of Ressurection Bay.

Can you imagine standing in the middle of town and you look up and there is several large glaciers just staring back at you? Thats what it is like here in downtown Seward! Everyone needs to come to Alaska to see this!

Had lunch at Safeway and took advantage of the free wi-fi in the store. Enjoyed our day in Seward. Caught the train back to Anchorage at 6pm. Arrived 10.30pm - then took taxi to our hostel accommodation "Arctic Adventure". In Anchorage it is very hard to find any accommodation under around $250 per night. After a lot of research I found this hostel for the price of $50 per night and by all accounts it appears to live up to its very positive reviews.

Enjoyed the afternoon with our new found friends from LA. They are a great couple with two wonderful children. Met them yesterday on board the Millenieum as
imageimageimage

Alaska railroad coastal train
they too were part of the cruise mishap. It was great catching up with them and learning about their lives in California.

We are excited about picking up the RV tomorrow...time for our Alaska adventure to start!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DSC04600DSC04600
DSC04600

One of many glaciers
DSC04641DSC04641
DSC04641

Resurrection Bay
DSC00445DSC00445
DSC00445

Ready to board
DSC00483DSC00483
DSC00483

Amazing scenery along the way


Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb