The Black Warrior continues to whind around


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
September 15th 2015
Published: September 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A short day today winding through the Black Warrior River. We had the waterway to ourselves with only one pleasure boat encountered and 2 tows. We have locked through with one pleasure boat this whole trip and that is 41 locks. Where is everybody, waiting out the hurricane season me thinks. Last trip we locked through with 4 to 6 boats, it takes a lot longer.

Really wild shoreline today with hardly any homes, those we saw were quite modest. Miles and miles of forest, birds, some turkeys and a deer or two. No palm trees yet even if we are in the Georgia type latitude.

We passed the abandoned bridge, Rooster Bridge, where the tugboat Cahaba did an Esquimo roll to pop up on the other side, and carry on it’s way, under it’s own power, during a flood. There is a video on the web, just google “Rooster, Cahaba, Tombigbee”’ It was some years ago but should still be on line.

We are anchored in Bashi Creek same anchorage as our previous trip. Until we get to Mobile, the anchorages are limited along this man made waterway. They seem to have widened the original River and left all the turns and bends, it keeps doubling back on itself.

The weather is getting hot again so we cooled off in the creek, it looks brownish because of the bottom but the water feels clean and is quite warm and refreshing.

We have two more short days because of anchorage locations and no marinas. One final lock before we are in tidal waters. That was a total of 43 locks this trip, almost as many as the Rideau.

Just chilling, listening to music and enjoying the peace with no noise, TV or Internet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb