What a difference a couple of days makes


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
April 2nd 2009
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.978, -100.212

Wednesday 25/03/09 At Sea Temps Air 12°C Sea 12°C

Hells bells everyone's dressed in fleeces, and sweaters again, there's a cold wind blowing across the ship so everyone's indoors meaning that the ship seems unusually busy and all my normal quite corners and watering holes and now either occupied or to noisy to afford me the peace I usually enjoy.

Saturday 28/03/09 Acapulco - Mexico Temps Air 31°C Sea 25°C
Well what a difference a couple of days and a few hundred miles makes, I can't get my head around the difference in sea temperatures over such a relatively small distance, even the rapid change in air temperatures takes some getting used to.

What an entrance to Acapulco we arrived early around 07:00 and sailed majestically into the wide bay around which the famous Acapulco strip is situated, the views of the terraced properties on both sides was beautiful. Once again the harbour is literally adjacent to the main road and our berth overlooks El Fuerte de San Diego (the San Diego Fort) in the blistering heat we made our way down to the quayside intent on going to the Cathedral of Nuestra Seńora de la Soledad situated in the Zócalo (main square). However the government accredited tourism staff were on hand providing free information and guidance to sights of interest, all free, despite our insistence that we were ok they insisted on escorting us to the Zócalo, so guide in front, off we went.

The pavements are truly treacherous and you need to pay as much attention to where your stepping as where your going, after 10 minutes we were duly delivered to the local flee market! Where all sorts of good could be brought for, well according to the vendors for a "gutta price" especially for us, yeah right! After profuse apologies for the misunderstanding the guide insisted on escorting us to the Zócalo some 10 minutes in the other direction, where upon arrival he stood awaiting his tip for services rendered, sorry I said you forfeited your tip by taking us to where you wanted us to go, rather than where we wanted go, exit one disillusioned government guide. After a short spell browsing around the square and immediate vicinity we made our way back to the ship for our afternoon scheduled excursion.

We had booked to go and see the world famous cliff divers at La Quebrada. After an interesting tour around the town which took in all the local tourist spots, including the Acapulco Bay Vantage Point which provides a truly stunning panoramic view out across the bay to our ship in the far distance, from there it was a short journey to La Quebrada.

Upon arrival we made our way to the hotel which provides the best vantage points from its terraces, as well as doing great margaritas. I must say I was surprised, all the footage I've seen of these death defying divers leads you to believe that they dive from a much greater height, rather than the actual 130 feet that it is. I'm in no way detracting from the risks involved, with hindsight I imagine the difference between the perceived and the reality is the angle and position from which the shot is taken. The divers say a short prayer at a small shrine before making their way down to a ledge on an outcrop of rock, from which they contemplate the 130' drop to the sea below, which is in fact a turbulent narrow inlet which is only 11' deep! To rapturous applause from the spectators they launch themselves off the cliff performing a perfect flying arch before plummeting to the sea below, a fitting end to the excursion and our visit to Acapulco.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb