Curvas Peligroso and other road signs


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
July 18th 2005
Published: July 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

where the desert meets the seawhere the desert meets the seawhere the desert meets the sea

how flipping romantic is this....middle of nowhere...
Well Amigos and Amigas, in Acapulco, the iconic resort and slum of nortamericana dreams! staying in an upper market hotel, on the 11th floor so the views are positively panoramic, the only drawback, except for my persistent habit (sorry Mark) is the only 2 lifts and they are slow, and even slower when some little shit from 1103, yes, we know who you are, punches all the buttons before running off laughing....the trip down then takes about 35 minutes....but at least when it happened last night getting back on the roadgetting back on the roadgetting back on the road

some of these beaches are a bit off the beaten track...leaving Ticla...ooh you devil
wondering who their dad might be...maybe one of the cartel henchmen...maybe we should give the boys a break...hehehe...just kidding senor...they were no problem at all..hehehe...

Zona de Derrumbles is a common sign, not sure what it means exactly but the accompanying diagram of rocks falling onto the road gives you the message...and right around the next bend is half a truck load of boulders and gravel, yes, I know what that one means!....Curvas Peligroso is one that you want to see in the night club or at the beach, but not when you've been daydreaming and find yourself commited to the uncommitable....Disminuya su Velocidad...usually coming into a small town and the next one is Topes at x metres....topes are speed humps and some of them are pretty sincere and Saturday on the way down from wherever there seemed to be thousands of them...on the upside, we can scoot over most of them pretty quick by standing up on the pegs while the cars and trucks are forced to an almost standstill....so if the timing is right you can slip past many vehicles...altho' a bit to their chagrin tal mez.....

the run down the coast has been really cool
cafe on the edgecafe on the edgecafe on the edge

this place is just hanging over a 200m drop....just
and pretty laid back, at times running along the coast at others diving inland and teasing us with glimpses of beaches and the often incredibly rugged coastline...absolutely unscalable cliffs in parts rising a hundred metres from the crashing waves....picture perfect little bays with palm groves and a coupla palapas, many quite deserted, others becoming more developed acording to who has discovered them...quite a few surfers following the good breaks...
along the inland roads little villages (and the inevitable topes) with a few scrappy stores and a restaurant or 2...mostly ptretty sleepy hollow type joints....in the heart of some big palm plantations one village had a lolly factory and each side for a few hundred metres were fifty thousand exactly identical little roadside stalls with exactly the same displays of cocnut ice and other sickly delicacies......just didn't have the time to pull up....biggest mobs of mango plantations...some with curiously high cyclone fences topped with razor wire hmmm...either they've developed the golden mango or there's something else going on...and there's a sweet smell in the air sometimes...and this is the area where they say don't go following any dirt tracks off the road coz you might meet farmer Green and his crop...
best meal everbest meal everbest meal ever

palapa and have something to eat - Playa Somewhera

The front of the bikes, and the helmets, and us I guess are beginning to resemble a drunken ornithologists attempt at a display board, from miniscule sandflies up to these huge butterflies...like half a metre windspan, all spread out in their glory, or at least the last thing that went thru their minds is about all thats left...building up some nice layers on all the front facing surfaces....every now and then I pop the visor to get some air in the helmet....and I can tell you the inside of the helmet is getting a little putrid, yuck, I doused mine in bug repelent the other morning, even the awful taste of DEET was preferable....anyway, as soon as the lid is up you can guarantee a bug will fly straight in and lodge in your ear....oh man...this is soo bad..desperately trying to get a finger up inside the helmet....almost impossible...twisting the helmet around, wriggling the sunglass arms...its driving me crazy....then oops another curva peligroso...another warning this is a 126 kmh corner...aaarrrggghhh....so its find a spot to pull over...or palapa...off the gloves, off the helmet, peer inside...nada!!...check the earhole...nada...where did the little fcuker go?...helmet back on, gloves back on...check the road, back
the photographer at workthe photographer at workthe photographer at work

she's a bit shy but tres pretty
away again....2 kilos down the road...yes, you guessed it....this was the secondary reason for spraying the helmet with DEET....I figured that at least if anything got in it woulfd die!....
And all the people we come across have been really cool, and everyone is blown away when we get talking about where we are going...and more and more people getting onto our blogs to track where we go....lots of Mexicans and Mexamericans on hols at the moment, so lots of them speak some or lots of english, makes it a bit easier...I'm able to get by asking for stuff, its just trying to interpret the answers that still has me stuffed......and here in Acapulco english is widely spoken as it is a big tourista resort...mostly Mexicans tho' at the moment...

Passed a car and got past by one also...started thinking about passed and past..passed over, passed by, passed wind, passed thru, Passover, xmases past, you get the drift...the brain does go funny and Cuz, 1 is the lonliest number, but there's also the oneness of it all which is more comforting...

Well, I canĀ“'t seem to get into much more than this fairly straight one today...too long off
you are here!you are here!you are here!

map on servo wall
the bike maybe...this morning we found a bike shop just around the corner and these fantastic guys just dropped everything, made space for us to get the bikes in and changed the tyres while we did oil changes...just another chance encounter that has turned a seemingly degree-of-difficulty-9.5-days-work into a 3 hour interaction with these salt-of-the-earth local bike guys...sooo helpful, handy and obliging....and I got dirt under my fingernails, lying on the dirty floor, getting at the nuts under the sump, burning the fingers as the hot oil comes, getting the filters changed...well at least I enjoyed it!...and my tyre was probably the worst altho'still another 1000kms in it maybe but it was not too good on these wet roads and much more liable to puncture now its smooth....and she desperately needed an oil change ...so its all good...bueno even...now we just have to kill the rest of the day as we're booked in for tonight already...and tomorrow somewhere down towrds Puerto Escondido...
Crikey, look at the time...its almost nap o'clock...just pick up a couple of cervezas for the balcony, another marlboro light or 3 and a little lie-down...
This is so awful just writing mundane crapola...sorry...I'll be eback soon...thanks for
Bill the mechanic?Bill the mechanic?Bill the mechanic?

servicing the girls in Acapulco at MOTOMAR such cool guys, even let me help...
the comments...and a couple of newbies on the dist list, welcome...and I still love youse all...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 96; dbt: 0.14s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb